Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message showing up on Spybot-S &D!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMPO

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
US
Everytime I open the spybot software a message in German appears "Fehler bei Einfugen von RichEdit-Zeile." The software is working fine but the same box appears everytime I open the software. I look for the translation and is that
"Error with a joints of RichEdit line" but I still not understand. Any help to resolve this issue. Thankss...

I did uninstall it and reinstall it but keep saying the same message. Any other ideas.

DMPO

I'd have to say it is saying RichedText format which is what wordpad.exe uses, along with Word - if you tell it to-, and even many other word processors...

Your shortcut command that opens the exe file may need some modification..It seems to be more of a windows prob..
How does your shortcut "Target", "Start in", "ShortCut Key" and "Run" boxes read...(exactly)

Are you running an Old version of IE?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

The shorcut key reads: Spybot-S&D(advanced mode)

The real message that appears when I open the program is:

Fehler bei Einfugen von RichEdit-Zeile.

The run box displays:

"C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Spybot-S&D (advanced mode).lnk"

And I am running OS WIN98 SE.

I don't know german at all; i was going from your translation

Right click the Desktop shortcut and choose properties and then answer my question from before about
How does your shortcut "Target", "Start in", "ShortCut Key" and "Run" boxes read...(exactly)

In a shortcut tab, the "run" will read only "Normal Window" or Maximized or Minimized

If the main Spybot executable is on your desktop-- move it somewhere else-- , into any other folder, maybe to C:\Program Files and then make a shortcut "to that" from Desktop..
(Your Active Desktop is probably screwin it up).

this statement;
"Spybot-S&D.lnk"
implies it's a shortcut...
Where is the actual program located????

I asked for the "Browser" version, i assumed 98 anyway...
click on Help menu in browser window, choose "About Internet Explorer"

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Thanks for your help!

Location C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs

Type : Shorcut

Target: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"

Start in: Blank

Shorcut Key : None

Run: Normal Window

Thanks again.

ANFPS26, thanks for your information, the forum show me the problem and I fix it. Thanks again.

For the benefit of other user's with the same problem:

Your Windows is missing the Riched32.dll file from the C:\Windows\System directory. You can extract the file from your original Windows CD or use the System File Checker to replace the file.

CAUSE
These error messages can occur if the Riched32.dll file in the Windows\System folder is missing or damaged. The first error message listed for each program occurs if the Riched32.dll is missing. Subsequent error messages indicate that the Riched32.dll file is damaged.

RESOLUTION
The Riched32.dll File Is Missing
If the Riched32.dll file is missing, WordPad may not be installed. To determine if WordPad is installed, double-click the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, click the Windows Setup tab, click Accessories, and then click Details. If the WordPad check box is not selected, click to select it, click OK, and then click OK again.

If WordPad is installed, extract the Riched32.dll file from the original Windows 95 or Windows 98 disks or CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder.

Glad you got it DMPO, and way to go ANFPS26 [bigsmile]

Well, I wrote this anyway; so I might as well post it, in case it helps someone else;
I've got a feeling you've pointed the shortcut in QuickLaunch to the shortcut in Start Menu

You have two shortcuts which is fine ,except to say one is possibly corrupt or pointing wrongly or something
Shortcuts are at;
1. C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs
2. C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mic...\Quick Launch
Right click each, choose properties,
Both should point to (Target)
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe"
Try filling in the "Start in" with
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy"

if no go;
Through Windows Explorer.....Delete the shortcut from the Quick Launch folder only, (It'll be fine,it's only a shortcut, not the program)...Then Restart and then again through Windows Explorer, navigate to Quick Launch folder and Right click a blank area and choose New > Shortcut and in the "Command Line" click Browse, Navigate to the
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" file and name it My Spybot or whatever

If that don't work;
try Replacing both the Riched32.dll and Riched20.dll files in C;\Windows\System ,as the link from ANFPS26 says

And lastly turn off Active Desktop, which I'd do anyway for security reasons.

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back