Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message rules? well only sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayMunro

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
GB
I am using Outlook XP. I have set up some message rules. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. It is not the address on the incoming mail as mail from the same people sometimes is moved according to the rule and sometimes its not. If I go to message rules and tick run now, then the unmoved files are sent to where the rules direct.Any ideas out there.

Is it possible that the mails that don't get moved are being trapped by another rule in Outlook, possibly one that says "Stop processing any more rules". I have had this occur when a mail could satisfy another rule and therefore hasn't gone to the folder I wanted it to. When you click on Run Now it is only running that rule in isolation.
HTH

Thanks, but I dont think this is it.
There are five rules in message rules and stop processing isn't one of them. It seems to run the rules at random. Sometimes 1 3 4 work, sometime 1245. sometimes all, sometimes none. Its very confusing!

Ray

You may want to read some or all of these:

thread605-603289
thread605-588858
thread605-554303
thread605-357883
thread605-535781
thread605-536076
thread605-622815
thread605-635096

MoiraT is correct, All mail rules are processed (in the order listed) for every message received unless a 'stop processing more rules' is encountered. Generally, when someone complains that the rules are sometimes working and sometimes not, it is because more than 1 rule is acting on the message - so the rule doesn't apply the way one would expect. Also as MoiraT mentioned, manually running a particular rule runs only that rule, so multiple rules are not applied and the behavior is what you'd expect.

Find a message that doesn't work the way you expect, then very logically and systematically read through your entire set of rules to see if more than 1 applies to this message.

Thanks Smah,

I'll work my way through the links.

Just to clarify. No mail has more than one rule applied to it. The rules are similar to "when mail ariives addressed to xxx move to folder yyy" And when I run "run now" I run all the rules not just one at a time.

The "run now" button only runs the 1 selected rule.

Do u use LDAP server for ur incoming mails, if this is the case than Outlook has problems with it. It does not apply the rule properly.

At the end of all your rules add the tag"Add stop processing more rules".

Very rarely will one not add this to all client rules.

Without the tag added, Outlook will look at the posssible options for the message and for some reason simply do nothing.

*Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back