Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

message light keeps burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWOneAndOnly

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2004
BE
Most of our users complaining that their message light keeps burning while they have no more messages on their voicemail?

I can fix it very temporary with 'clear amw all <extension>'

but once they get a new message the light keeps burning again.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Need a little more info. So here are a few questions:

What PBX and Voicemail are you using? Software versions?
How does your voicemail connect to your PBX?
How busy is your voicemail?

system: G3siV9
soft ver: G3V9i.02.0.033.2

how can I check how the voicemail connects to PBX?
and how busy the voicemail is?

sorry but my knowledge of definity is basic.

What kind of voicemail do you have?

For connectivity, how do you connect to the voicemail to do administration? Do you go to an IP address or do you dial a telephone number?

To check for activity, try these commands in your voicemail (assuming you have an Audix):

List Measurements Load Day - Look at Maximum Simultaneous Ports. If you go to the next page you can see how many ports you have, how many calls each port took, and the time spent on the calls.

List Measurements Feature Day - Look at Maximum Average Ports in Use. I believe that will tell you the total number of subscribers you have too.

For the phones having the problem, how long does it take for the message light to turn on?

How long has the problem been happening? Do any upgrades or major changes to the PBX or voicemail coincide with that?

My first thought would be your Audix may be very busy. I believe it needs a port to let the PBX know when to turn on and turn off the MWI light. But, if the light turns on relatively quickly when someone leaves a message, but doesn't go out after, that may not be the problem.

Next, I would compare the programming on your switch and in your voicemail of a station that is not having the problem to one that is having the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Q:What kind of voicemail do you have?
A:Audix

Q:For connectivity, how do you connect to the voicemail to do administration? Do you go to an IP address or do you dial a telephone number?
A:I'm using direct connection for the administration of audix (at the central self) not remote.
for the non audix part we use IP (Definity Site Admin)

List Measurements Load Day:
-Look at Maximum Simultaneous Ports: 4
Ports Usage Data(Sec)
1-8: 397 640 334 734 0 0 0 0
9-16: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ports Peg Count Data (Nr of calls)
1-8: 15 14 17 14 0 0 0 0
9-16: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

List Measurements Feature Day:
-Maximum Average Ports in Use: 0.4
-Total number of subscribers: 298

Q:For the phones having the problem, how long does it take for the message light to turn on?
A: Light turns on directly.

Q:How long has the problem been happening?
A: Since Yesterday

Q:Do any upgrades or major changes to the PBX or voicemail coincide with that?
A:no

My first thought would be your Audix may be very busy. I believe it needs a port to let the PBX know when to turn on and turn off the MWI light. But, if the light turns on relatively quickly when someone leaves a message, but doesn't go out after, that may not be the problem.

-thats the case "the light turns on relatively quickly when someone leaves a message, but doesn't go out after"

Next, I would compare the programming on your switch and in your voicemail of a station that is not having the problem to one that is having the problem.

-It seems that all our users having this problem.

The light won't turn off at all even after waiting a few hours.
But during testing i noticed that sometimes (approx. 1 out of 10 times) the light turns of immidiatly after deleting the messages?

Is there any other methode to let the user turn off their light manually (as a workaround) 'till the problem is fixed?

Your audix does not appear to be real busy. I do not know of any way for a user to do the equivalent of a clear amw all.

Try to status one of the stations before and after they pick up new messages. There should be a field on that screen that says "Message Waiting:" What does that field say before and after?

When was the last time your audix was rebooted?

Message Waiting: says "pre" before & after.

The audix was rebooted 2 weeks ago

The "pre" is probably your problem, but I haven't ever seen that. Normally you see "Audix" or "LWC". The only things I can find on "pre" refer to Octel voice mails. I imagine that when you do a clear amw all, the "pre" goes away.

On your stations, what do you have in the "LWC Reception" and "Audix Name" fields?

LWC Reception: msa-spe

Audix Name: ? (where do I find that?)

I added the result of an station status & display

Status Station 995:

Switch name: DEFinity - GENERAL STATUS

Type: 8410D Service State: in-service/on-hook
Extension: 995 Download Status: complete
Port: 01B0405 SAC Activated? no
Call Parked? no User Cntrl Restr: none
Ring Cut Off Act? no Group Cntrl Restr: none
Active Coverage Option: 1 CF Destination Ext:

Message Waiting: spe
Connected Ports:

ACD STATUS
Grp/Mod Grp/Mod Grp/Mod Grp/Mod Grp/Mod
/ / / / / HOSPITALITY STATUS
/ / / / / Awaken at:
/ / / / / User DND: not activated
/ / / / / Group DND: not activated
On ACD Call? no Occupancy: 0.0 Room Status: non-guest room

Display Station 995:

Switch name: DEFinity - STATION

Extension: 995 Lock Messages? n BCC: 0
Type: 8410D Security Code: TN: 1
Port: 01B0405 Coverage Path 1: COR: 1
Name: ServerRoom Floor 6 Coverage Path 2: COS: 1
Hunt-to Station:

STATION OPTIONS
Loss Group: 2 Personalized Ringing Pattern: 1
Data Module? n Message Lamp Ext: 995
Speakerphone: 2-way Mute Button Enabled? y
Display Language: english

Media Complex Ext:
IP SoftPhone? n

STATION
FEATURE OPTIONS
LWC Reception: msa-spe Auto Select Any Idle Appearance? n
LWC Activation? y Coverage Msg Retrieval? y
LWC Log External Calls? n Auto Answer: none
CDR Privacy? n Data Restriction? n
Redirect Notification? y Idle Appearance Preference? n
Per Button Ring Control? n
Bridged Call Alerting? n Restrict Last Appearance? y
Active Station Ringing: if-busy-single

H.320 Conversion? n Per Station CPN - Send Calling Number?
Service Link Mode: as-needed
Multimedia Mode: basic Audible Message Waiting? n
MWI Served User Type: Display Client Redirection? n
Select Last Used Appearance? n
Coverage After Forwarding? s

Direct IP-IP Audio Connections? n
IP Audio Hairpinning? n

STATION
SITE DATA
Room: Headset? n
Jack: Speaker? y
Cable: Mounting: d
Floor: Cord Length: 0
Building: Set Color: gray

ABBREVIATED DIALING
List1: group 2 List2: List3: enhanced

BUTTON ASSIGNMENTS
1: call-appr 6: call-pkup
2: call-appr 7: auto-cback
3: call-appr 8: abrv-dial List: 3 DC: 0996
4: call-fwd Ext: 9: last-numb
5: send-calls Ext: 10: abrv-dial List: 3 DC: 0999

STATION

SOFTKEY BUTTON ASSIGNMENTS

1: lwc-store
2: lwc-cancel
3: auto-cback
4: timer
5:
6: call-park
7: date-time
8: priority
9: abr-prog
10: abr-spchar Char: ~p
11: abr-spchar Char: ~m
12: abr-spchar Char: ~w

It looks like maybe you're missing AUDIX on the second page of the station form. Under MWI Served User Type:

You may also want to change msa-spe to AUDIX on the second page at the top where it says lwc reception.

Try this on 1 station to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

spe is leave word calling. Try changing the LWC activation to N. There is also some fields in "cha sys feat" page 2. You could try changing that to 0 , 0 , N. That is a system wide feature and would prevent everyone from using LWC.

when I use AUDIX as LWC Reception (or the method phoneguy55 described

I get messages in but the lamp doesn't light up, so the user doesn't know when they have messages on their nr.

Yesterday I also rebooted our complete central (Cold 1 & 2) in the hope this would fix this topic but the problem persists.

Is the Audix box DIRECTLY connected to the PBX or does it connect to the PBX through the LAN? If it is a LAN connection, do you have an entry in the PBX node-names for "audix"

Do a list node-names and see if it is in the list.

If you do not, do a change node-names audix. The name should be intuity and use the IP of the audix box.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this!!

manfmmd

It's also a good idea if you do have LWC Activation enable to have a station that has System-Wide Retrieval permissions to retrieve those messages along with the appropriate FAC.

I just did some more checks on our system.
and I notice following:

"Display activity xxx" tells me that mwi is turned on when a new message is added, what is correct.
when I delete the message i see that the status of it is changed from new to deleted and when I delete the last message
the wmi goes to status off BUT the message light keeps burning
and "status station xxx" keeps telling me "Message Waiting: spe"

I also just synced the time of our audix
"set time" enable sync (I read something about this problem that could be caused by an unsynced audix time)

It's also a good idea if you do have LWC Activation enable to have a station that has System-Wide Retrieval permissions to retrieve those messages along with the appropriate FAC.
How do I do that? (sorry I'm not an expert of the system I only know the common basic stuff)

In the PBX:

CHANGE SYSTEM-PARAMETERS FEATURES

FEATURE-RELATED SYSTEM PARAMETERS
LEAVE WORD CALLING PARAMETERS
Maximum Number of Messages Per Station: 10
Maximum Number of External Calls Logged Per Station: 0
Message Waiting Indication for External Calls? n
Stations with System-wide Retrieval Permission (enter extension)
1:9999 3: 5: 7: 9:
2:attd 4: 6: 8: 10:

TTI/PSA PARAMETERS MOVED TO PAGE 3

Prohibit Bridging Onto Calls With Data Privacy? y
Enhanced Abbreviated Dial Length (3 or 4): 3
Record All Submission Failures in History Log? y
Record PMS/AD Transactions in History Log? n
Record IP Registrations in History Log? n
Default Multimedia Outgoing Trunk Parameter Selection: 2x64

In the 10 "Stations with System-wide Retrieval Permission" fields enter the extension that you want to retrieve the LWC messages from (if you do not use LWC on a regular basis and this is just a "once in a blue moon" occurance, this extension should be a system admin's extension). My entries are on page 2, yours may be different.

On the same station, put the following buttons:

cov-msg-rt
delete-msg
next

From that extension press the cov-msg-rt button, enter the extension that has the LWC message, press next, then press the delete-msg button.

I know it's a pain... I was incorrect about the FAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back