Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message Filtering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupportSystems

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I am attempting to block certain domains. If I use the Connections tab, Message Filtering button and add ONE domain and restart the server (restarting just the IMS service has not worked for me) the domain is blocked ( using the syntax "@domainname.com" w/o quotes). If I add a second domain using the same syntax and restart, no messages are delivered regardless of the domain they are sent from and no messages are generated, only the NDR to the sender "Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but sender was rejected. Remote host said: 505 Client was not authenticated
." Is there a trick to adding multiple domains to filter? I am using NT 4.0 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Thanks

Try leaving out the @ sign.. I had about 200 domains blocked at one time and it work ok. I then started using a SMTP blocking software package and it worked a lot better because I could choose to block mail from individuals destined for specific individuals not just block for everyone on the mail system.

egodette,

I tried it w/o the "@" sign and it did not block the domain. Reading other posts in this group gave me the idea to put it in as none of the docs mention it.

Thanks though.

Try "#@domainname.com". The # acts as a wildcard.

I got the filtering to work but I am not sure why. After reviewing all settings I could think of and trying all syntax of the domains I wanted to block, I looked at the services that were running. I noticed that the Microsoft SMTP service was running, thinking I read somewhere that Exchange runs a seperate SMTP service, I shut the Microsoft SMTP service down and rebooted. Now I enter all domains to block using syntax "@domainname.com" and its worked fine... but why I do not know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back