Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Message board emails and the proper smtp service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovatvvon

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
US
Hello all,

Question:

How would I send emails to users notifying them of another post on a message board...much like here at tek-tips.com for email notification?

Scenario:

I am making a message board for users on my web site. I want to be able to have the site automatically inform everyone who "marks" the specific thread on a message board by email. I don't want to send through a service that has a lot of adds an junk within each email...is there a service out there that is good service with little to no adds in the emails. If not, is there an easy way to send the emails out via smtp through one of my regular email accounts, such as webmaster@abc.com?

Thanks in advance!
- Ovatvvon

If you setup the SMTP service in IIS, you can use it to send your emails. Monte Kalisch
Brainbench MVP for ASP

Anti-Spam Email: montek at montekcs dot com

How would I set that up? I looked at it a bit, but not sure how I would tell it to send through, say my personal smtp service at a commercial site like usa.net, or yahoo.com?

Also, once I do that, what would be the proper code to type in the web form to get it to forward through iis?

Thanks for your help!
-Ovatvvon

Or if anyone even just knows of a good service that will auto forward the emails from the web form to an email of whoever you want...without cluttering the email like crazy with ads and other trash like that...(?) (Free would be good too =Þ )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back