Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

message attachments 11d

Status
Not open for further replies.

nifterz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2006
GB
hello,

i have just started to use 11d and was trying to restore an email with attachment.

is this possible when backing up the infomation store and not indivdual mailboxes?
as the attachment is not there and is reported as bytes not KB?

thanks in advance for any help

Sorry.. I need more information.. Are you trying to restore an individual email or the entire IS when restoring to get this attachment back? Is the granular option enabled in BE through Tools | Options? You need to backup the IS initially..

yes it is enabled. i was just trying to restore a single email which i am able to do, but the attachment does not restore? it appears as bytes and not KB? I am only doing a IS full backup. If i choose just to back up an indivdual mailbox i can restore a message with attachment no problem.

the problem seems to be that you can restore single messages fine from a Full IS backup but the attachments do not. Could it be that i have single instance backup up of mail attachments enabled so it is only the pointer that is being restored? for obvious reasons i dont really want to back up every instance of the same attachment for disk space.

Thankyou for your reply

This is a known issue right now.
Make sure that you have HOTFIX 2 and HOTFIX 6 applied and if the exchange server is remote re-push the agent and see what happens..or run another backup and then try the restore

Thanks steveot i have not yet applied any hotfixes this could be the reason. i will try what you have suggested when i return to work tomorrow (damn holidays go to quick) and let you know what happens.

thanks again guys much appreciated

no this is still not restoring attachments , i have updated backup exec using the live update and re pushed the agent still no joy.

Another really really anoying problem (or feature) lol is that the IMG folders do not overwrite what a pain in the "$£%£$ does any one know when this is going to be fixed?

cheers guys

There seems to be many problems with 11d. I have rollbacked to 10.1d for the time being. I would advise looking at the moderated Symantec forums as there are a lot of people in the same boat as yourself.

hotfix 11 has solved the problem with attachments all working fine.

apparantly the not overwriting is a design feature of 11d you must set the IMG size to just over the database size for it to overwrite but not sure what you ment to do if your database excceds this limit over time.

pretty poor feature if you ask me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back