Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mermail Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearce001

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
I having a problem with 1 VM account on a Option 11c with Meridian Mail, that if I try to change/delete it, I get an error saying this:

A System Error Occured, and the user was not deleted. Try Again Later

if I try to delete it,or I get :

A System Error Occured, and the user was not modified. Try Again Later

if I try to modify it. A couple of months ago we had a Hard Disk Sector Problem in this system but I was able to get a forensic copy of the disk using Nortons Ghost, which stated that it had bad sectors, the new disk with the image from Norton's has worked fine since then, this is the only problem I have run into and think that maybe this mailbox was on the bad sectors of the disk, what I want to know is if there is another way to remove this mailbox...

have you tried to delete it from your tools menu? another possible cure would be to do a partial backup, everthing except the os, do a new install then restore the partial. a full backup is bootable and formats the hd when you do a restore, so i would do the partial... nortel can go in and delete the file, if you have a maint with a vendor, have then contact nortel.. another possible cure, take all the channels down, then attempt to delete the user.. your right, that file is corrupt possibley due to that sector problem.. i'm more surprised that the user can retrieve msgs with the mailbox being stuck in between digital hell and pergertory (spelling).. hope one of these help

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

We had the same issue with a box and Nortel had to go in and out it. hope johns way works for you because that's a whole lot cheaper.

Not totally sure this user was able to use the mailbox, I think she has been out, when you dial the number and it goes to voicemail all you get is the attendant saying the do subscribe but it is unable to take a message...I am going to try the backup but if I cannot get that to work then we probably will have to give her a new extension (very low budget here, Local Government Shop).

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the time.

One of the things that the Nortel Tech did tell me that could cause this issue was renaming mailboxes. He said that over an extended period of time this could cause the problem. So if you need to change someones name in a mailbox the best thing to do is out the box and rebuild with the new name.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think you can add a new Mbox with a different number and set everything for that old extension DN.
At least you don't need to change the internal DN of the user, ony the "account" of the mailbox of the user, and only when he/she access from the other phone she needs to remember the Mbox.

hawks makes a good point, most of the time a rename doesn't hurt, but once in a while chnaging the dn or name will corrupt a box... and it seems that when you get a corrupt box, it's got to be some vp or above... in my cp, i never rename due to hippa regs (hospital, patient information).. you can have the number and the office and the desk, but msgs from patients to health care providers will not be shared via my dept..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back