Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Plus Problem with "on hold" disconnection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello everyone,

I have had a strange problem with a Merlin Plus that it disconnects callers as soon as you put them on hold. NOT all the time, but frequently enough that it has caused a very big problem. The phone company states that there is a problem with the phone system. The phone system has been changed out 3 times and the same problem is there. The ONLY way to correct the problem is that the phone company had to change the supervision on the disconnect to have the phone system handle the hold and disconnection, not the phone company. The phone company is telling me that this is not their policy to do this and still tell me that there is a problem with the phone system, even though it has been changed out 3 times. In addition, I cannot find any setting in the Merlin Plus manual to change disconnect supervision.

Has anyone had this type of issue?

If anyone can you shed some light on this situatuion, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Eric

I had the Same Problem. I told the Customer to put in a DEDICATED outlet for the phone system when the moved in. They had an outlet installed but it was branched off of an outlet that has a copier on it, and they had the same drop off problems. Try using a Thick (just long enough) 12 guage extention cord to an other outlet to see if that solves your problem. It took a while for me to diagnose. I had installed other merlin KSUs and all that, but after plugging it in somewhere else in the basement it worked fine. and it has been working fine for 2 years now.

Don

This problem is most likely caused by the "off-hook supervision" setting on the Merlin. This setting allows for the trunk/outside line to drop calls if the caller hangs-up. There are two reasons why you might be having this problem with the factory/default settings:
1. You are a considerable distance from the C.O.
2. The C.O. might be a Northern C.O.

Look through your trunk setting and up the milli sec setting or turn-off the trunk supervision (sorry I'm a Definity user... there was a setting for this on System 25s ... not sure if there is a setting on the Merlin).
If this is only happening on one or two trunks... try reversing tip and ring on the trunk.

Eric
There Is no disconect supervision setting on the Merlin Plus.

Don

Perhaps too late to help, but the Merlin Plus supports either a 50msec or 450msec option. The manual states:

"If a caller waiting on hold is disconnected, the disconnect interval setting of your Merlin Plus system is shorter than the setting at your local telephone company's central office."

This is filed under "Hold Disconnect Interval."

I think sDaniel as the right idea. Take a multimeter and test voltage on one of the lines while it is not in use. It should be 48 volts when it is not ringing. I had this happen to me on a Merlin 410.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back