Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

merlin modem setup for remote access 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmbrinkman

Technical User
Jun 18, 2007
US
does the merlin legend have an internal modem? the programming screen indicates it does, but when I dial *10 from the intercom, I don't get modem tone. I've reset the modem in the maint screen to no avail. there is a post that says you need a 012 (t/r) card for this to work. i'm in the process of getting 1. is there anything that i'm missing?

What reloease Legend do you have? I believe it was 3.0 when they came with built in modem.

If you intercom *10(star 10)- you should get modem tone. If you don't - the processor modem may be defective (the modem chip would need replacement). If you want to connect directly locally - you are correct that you need to connect through an 012 or 016 port. OR - you can connect to the processor Admin port (using a 355AF adapter or a homemade adapter). You can also call in to your system from another telephone number and have someone on site manually transfer you to *10 - to connect remotely.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I believe jahms may be correct that you need at least a CKE3 processor for the modem connection.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

the rel is 2.1. i've tried this on another system with the same results. if I can't get the 012 t/r card then i'll use and external modem with a null headshell which should work. thanks for your quick response. GB

If it is a release 2.1 (Processor labelled large or small - or even older) - the only way you may be able to connect is via the admin port using the com1 serial port on your PC. You can google the 355AF pinout - and get the specs to make your own DB9 to admin port RJ45 connector. WinSPM will only work in Standard SPM mode for a processor that old.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

All RELEASES OF LEGENDS had built in modems, Starting with Release 1.0 (the first one).

So, if you call *10 and NEVER get MODEM Tone, then it's probably a bad PROCESSOR.

I have one client, (30 Miles away of course) that has a BAD Modem in their processor and won't fork over the few buck$ it would take to fix this.

INSTEAD, they spend a fortune on me driving down there to make simple changes.

Thanks for the info merlinman, but i tried it on 2 systems with the same results. therefore, i doubt it's a bad processor, but you never know. we're waiting for parts, a t/r 012 card and a ring generator and will go from there. i know i can get it to work with an external modem connected to the sa port -- been there done that and have many t shirts...

Well - the modem is probably defective - it's a single chip - the rest of the processor may work just fine. With the reasonable cost of CKE4 processors or even CKE5 processors - I would just replace the processor. It would be cheaper than replacing the modem chip.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I have seen quite a large number of the old R1 and R2 modems go out. I have used this as an excuse to upgrade the processors for the customers at a minimal expense in order to save myself the hassle of the run, run, run, for little remote access issues. CKE4 processor modules that have R7 software are very cheap compared to the rates of multiple trips to sites. Eventually, they get tired of the recurrent expense.

I was lied to by my tech. You will get modem tone (cd) if you come off hook on an icm and dial *10. So, I didn't have 2 systems where I didn't get modem tone. It appears the modem is bad in one of the boxes. I also read that the baud rate is 1200 -- slow, slow, slow. The baud rate on WINSPM 3.0 can not be set less than 2400. I recently acquired a dos version of SPM that should help me solve one of my problems. Thank you all for your input and help. Jorge'

If you click on standard SPM out of WinSPM - you are using the old DOS version.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back