Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Messaging Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotPhoneGeek

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2012
US
Just started yesterday NOT answering any calls. Can't dial directly into it to get messages and it will not pick up when there is no answer at an extension. I can not log in with Admin software over Ethernet (I can ping it) and I have not tried to connect directly with RS 232. Reset the whole system yesterday and it seemed the license card was clicking when the system restarted. Status light is green.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clicking sounds like the hard drive has failed. The PCMCIA card is solid state.

Can I remove the Merlin Messaging card while the system is running? Also, would the RS-232 admin connection let me do better research or at least locate error messages?

Thanks!

You theoretically can remove the PCMCIA card when hot but I'd not advise you do so. If you hooked up to the console you would be able to watch the MM boot, assuming it is booting. I have had a MLM board "drop out" when hot and a reseat and reboot cured it. Check the system error log and see if you have any alarms or alerts for that slot. But hard drives that click are dying. That much is for sure. BTW, you said status light. What about the port lights? Are they green, red, not lit?

OK, thanks. The System Status light is lit and green. None of the port lights are on. Is this a "standard" type of hard drive that can be obtained and swapped in or does the whole card have to be replaced?

Thanks again.

There is a company out of New York City that sells both traditional and flash replacement drives for most Avaya voicemails. They are a frequent seller on eBay.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I have bought them from Metroline Direct in Michigan. The lack of port lights means the ports have not been initialized. Sure sounds like a hard drive failure.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have a new drive on the way and will post the results after I get it installed. Thanks again for all the helpful responses!

New drive from Brian Cox installed, restore complete (old backup but didn't really matter that much) system up and running! Thanks people!

I know this is an old post but I have an old system and the question is related to it. I had this problem where the drive failed on the Merlin Messaging board. Replaced the board and we are running now. I went to plug in an RJ45 cable to the RS232 port and next thing I know is I get a call from someone saying that the voice mail is down. I test and yep, it is down. I go look again and now the board is flashing like crazy. I unplug the cable from the RS232 port and it comes back up. Is this normal behavior?

Yes yes, I am trying to get capex approval to replace this thing but the general manager doesn't see the point in having a modern working phone system because his phone looks like it works.... argh... The end is nigh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back