Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Messaging Problem... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMCGRATH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
US
...All voice mail is down at one of our remote sites. I tried dialing into the Magix and could not connect. We have tried the soft reboot of the system thru WinSPM, but that did not work. Should we try a hard reboot by turning off the cabinets from left to right and then turning them back on from right to left? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I will ask my person onsite who can check via WinSPM.

Try a full reboot. You can also reset just the messaging card by pulling out the port license card and then reinstalling it. If neither works - the module and/or hard drive may be "bad". Hopefully - someone did a backup recently.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I will have our onsite person try the full reset and removing and reinstalling the port license card. Hopefully that will work. She found lots of errors (error code 7801) under slot 05 today if that makes any difference. Also not in normal op mode.

The 7801 errors, in part, could be due to a normal 2am reset of the messaging module or indicate that the module has "problems" and needs to be reset. You can also reset the module from maintenance, slot 05, reset.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Did everything including the hard reboot and still the same problem. The auto attendant is still down, too. Could it be a hard drive issue? Sounds like our local Avaya partner will need to send out a tech tomorrow.

I'd be willing to bet it is a HARD DRIVE.

I have one in my lab that doesn't even spin up.

- NOT GOOD -

Unbelievably our Merlin Messaging is back up! Came back about 30 minutes after we did a hard reboot.

Even though it came back up, you might want to keep an eye on it by checking the error log every few days and/or review the maintenance manual for test procedures to see if you have any hard drive errors indicating an eminent failure.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

For sure - I would do a full backup using the LAN connection to a PC.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Merlinman: I had a hard drive that didn't start up..... and thumped it with a small wrench. (Had nothing to loose), it ran for three more years.

Alas, technology rules. I had a Carburetor like that once.

I know of a company that CLONES hard drives to some type of SOLID STATE Device (Compact Flash or what ever).

If only I could make that work with my PC.

How many hours have we lost just 'cause our HD crashes.

But, in talking to the SOLID STATE HD guy, he said a lot of times a HD will sit there and run and run and run for YEARS and YEARS.

The "BAD THING" happens when you turn it off, and all that old HD Grease gets cold and solidifies, then it will fail.

Thus, I am not all that suprised about the HAMMER FIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back