Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Messaging Continuous Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTech

Programmer
May 25, 2010
At this location, there is a Merlin Magix R3 (old Legend cabinet) with Merlin Messaging R3. The Messaging continuously fails, just stops working. Currently, resetting the system has been working, but this has happened several times over the last two weeks. A little history...we have replaced the Messaging module twice in approximately 18 months. We have also moved it to another slot, leaving one blank, presuming the slot was bad. This worked for a while, but we're back to having the voice mail quit every few days. We are about to replace the Messaging Module, again, but beleive that there must be something causing the continuous failures. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've found that Merlin Messaging Modules are very sensitive to power blips and/or surges. Is the system plugged into a UPS? If not, I would recommend it. Also, I would check to make sure the system is grounded properly.

Yes, it is connected to a UPS. I will check the grounding. I support many Merlin Messagings, but this is the only location with chronic failures. I've even considered replacing the backplane, but when we've replaced the module, we've been good for a little while. Is it possible that we have a bad backplane that may be shorting out the Messaging Module?

Have you checked the UPS, they can and do fail from time-to-time. Make sure all the cords and plugs are secure. When was the UPS last serviced? Batteries don't last forever. Check both the line voltage and the output voltage of the UPS, just to be sure. Verify all indicators on the UPS.

In verifying the ground connection, if you are not sure, check the Magix installation document for Avaya's requirements and practices, or consult with a knowledgeable electrician for help.

....JIM....

Thanks, Jim. I will check the connections and batteries with the UPS. I will also verify the grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back