Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Magix w/ T-1 PRI and 6 coppe

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavComp

MIS
Feb 13, 2002
US
Merlin Magix w/ T-1 PRI and 6 POTS
Q: If for some reason the PRI went down, is there a way to route calls through to the copper lines? The main number to the branch is (what I would describe) a copper rolled over to the PRI. The POTS lines do not pass through the switch at this time. A couple are being used as Fax numbers and a three others are used as Modem lines for testing and/or as a backup connection to the network. Thanks!
Julie Lawler
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wherever you go, there you are. -Buckaroo Banzai

Are you asking if your PRI goes down can you use the CO lines as a backup? Well, it depends on what you want them to do. If you want the main number to roll to them instead of the PRI if its down I'd say no.(Could be wrong, but don't think so) If you just want to add the CO lines to the switch so you have dial-tone, depending on your cards, I'd say yes... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I had the same situation, I would suggest backing up the PRI with the copper, add the copper to the switch and into a new trunk group, say 890 or 891.... then in the ars tables add the new trunk group to the existing PRI for backup. check with your carrier if in the event the t goes down if you can route or flex path your dnis or did's to the copper? you may be able to if they handle both for you. keep in mind the copper will not route to anyplace except the console or a predefines location that they appear on.

hope this helps...

Thanks, guys! As I understand from my manager, the Magix was supposed to have been set up that way from the get-go. Both PRI and POTS lines are from BellSouth, so I don't see any problem that way, but now I know what to check and what to change.
:-D Thanks!
Julie Lawler
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wherever you go, there you are. -Buckaroo Banzai

Julie, you have two things going on. First if the PRI goes down, and you want the INCOMING lines to route over the copper, then that is a function of the PRI / Copper lines vender, They can set up the PRI to hit copper if PRI is sick. Secondly, on your side, if the PRI goes down, you can assing the copper lines in a pool and set up as a second route selection in ARS. The equipment is smart enough, so that if PRI is not joyful, copper will be selected as an outbound choice. You have no control from yuor equipment end, as to how the calls come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back