Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Magix Tech - Richmond Area - Need Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTech

Programmer
May 25, 2010
We have a location in Colonial Heights, VA that is currently down. I am looking for a Merlin Magix tech in this area who can possibly assist today, January 18, 2013, and may possibly have Merlin Magix equipment that we could troubleshoot with. I the tech has a T-bird to check the circuit, that would be great!

Our T1 has gone down 3 times in 3-4 weeks. Each time until yesterday, the fix was with the carrier. Yesterday, the carrier replaced a card in th NIU but says that it's our equipment that is still causing the issue. We swapped T1 modules, moved slots, and took the CSU out of the configuration...none of which worked. Unfortunately, we did not start investigating the hardware until after 5:00 and continued late last night, so we had no chance to overnight equipment.

At this point, I don't know if the issue may be the processor, CU cabinet, cabling, or pointing back to the carrier. I really need some help and no longer have a technician in this area. I need a tech to help determine our issue or help prove that it's a carrier issue. Thank you!

This site is global so you may not have the best luck finding a local tech. I assume if you moved modules you also reprogrammed the system accordingly? If not, then moving the modules would not prove anything. Do you have a 3160 CSU? If so, the errors on it will point to where it sees fault (errors on DTE side are the Legend, errors on the network side are the carrier).

You can also check errors on the Legend itself if you have access to winspm or the console: Menu-Maintenance-System-Permanent errors (also transient errors). see what the current errors are (pressing more goes to the next one). Invalid sanity response from the T1 slot is not good and shows fault with the module. Yellow alarm, red alarm show the system is not seeing the T1 properly and this is a carrier issue. Protocol mismatch means the carrier and the Legend are not set to the same protocol and thus will collect errors until finally dropping. See what errors are out there and post them here.

Also, is this a T1 or a PRI?

I suppose that the carrier was able to place a call from the card they replaced?

Thank you both for such quick responses. Regarding the test call, the tech was unable to place a test call because he "didn't have the correct test set." I'm back on the phone with the carrier to make sure that they kept the framing and signaling the same. Apparently, when they change an NIU card, the protocols can get changed during testing.

With respect to testing the equipment, in swapping the equipment, I tested a replacement in the same slot then reprogrammed when testing the other slot. THe circuit is a PRI.

I'll see what AT&T can tell me on the framing and signaling.

I would be o.k with changing out a card where the provider can make and receive calls on a test set from the circuit and their provisioning has been proven to be correct for Merlin PRI.

I'll bet they switched the circuit to NI2 when they replaced the equipment. Any takers?

I bet it is set to NI2 as well. Make sure they have it as Custom 5ESS or if it is a newer circuit "legacy 5ESS" as I have heard it called recently by ATT.

That is exactly what happened. They had is set for 5ESS Custom B, which is National. When they moved it to the old 4ESS (AT&T Custom), it started partially working. With a few tweaks, it was back working. In that 4ESS is no longer supported, we allowed it to be moved back to 5ESS. I beleive they customized the 5ESS to mirror the old 4ESS, but no admission.

Thank you all for your help.

As suggested, what does the system log show? Does it indicate that the carrier is dropping...a problem with the T1 module...CPU?

For a good carrier test, plug a loopback plug into the CPE side of the NIU and have at&t run to it overnight. Another option would be to connect a loopback jack to the end of the cable that plugs into the T1 card and have AT&T test right up to the system carrier.

Being a PRI/ISDN circuit, the T1 should be ESF/B8ZS.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back