Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend SMDR/Admin port pinout 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hildekca

ISP
Aug 17, 2001
US
I'm looking for the pinout of the SMDR and Admin ports on the Merlin Legend. I've seen references to the Lucent 355 Adapter, but no one seems to have the actual pinout information. Please help!

Thanks!

The SMDR/Admin pin out is as follows.
Useing a RJ45:
-Pin 1- Not used
-Pin 2- DSR= DATA SET READY
-Pin 3- DTR= DATA TERMINAL READY
-Pin 4- GRD= GROUND
-Pin 5- RxD= RECIEVE DATA
-Pin 6- TxD= TRANSMIT DATA
-Pin 7- PTS= REQUEST TO SEND
-Pin 8- Not Used
A 355AF adapter just takes a RJ45 to a 25 pin interface.

The 355 adapter you are referring to also has some special electronics inside of it that usually keeps someone from just using a basic rj-45 to serial adapter. Your better off just getting a 355 adapter from avaya

The electronics in the adapter are to protect both the computer (or printer) and the phone system from electrical Imbalances. Using a homemmade adapter will void your warantee. But that being said, I have used an adapter I made for years now on dozens of systems and never had a problem.

Don

ttech- could you please post a wiring diagram of your adapter? I've tried several different combinations and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm guessing the SMDR/Admin ports are DCE. At best I get garbage, at worst I get nothing. I'm also assuming 1200 8N1 for communications parameters.
Thanks!

What is the pin out on the DB-25? I am sure any 568b cable will work.

The pin out sequence is:

Mod Plug 25 DB male
1 to 22
2 to 6 and 8
3 to 20
4 to 7
5 to 3
6 to 2
7 not used
8 not used

Not off-hand. You can just buy an adapter that goes DB-9/DB-25 from about any place.

Here's a "cut-n-paste" that I had saved in a text file. I have NOT used it myself.

The connections are as follows
RJ45 (9Pin Female)
1 9
2 8,6,1
3 4
4 5
5 2
6 3

Ok! I just got one of these "Home Made" RJ-45 to DB-25. I was not able to do the DB-9 without the DB-25 to DB-9 adapter. I'm sure that it was me. I used TimByrne's pinouts above and verified what I could with the Avaya link that I posted earlier. Follow his listing and use the darn $2.00 adapter from Radio Shack and save yourself a lot of frustration. Have fun with your project. John

Anybody know what size Zener's to use on the homemade unit ?

You don't need the zener diodes or the resisters. Follow this pinout chart:

RJ-45 DB-25

1 to 22
2 to 6 and 8
3 to 20
4 to 7
5 to 3
6 to 2

Don't worry about any other pins or any other components unless you need the DB-25 to DB-9 adapter. Mine that I made the other night is working fine on serveral computers.

I successfully built a cable (cat5) to get SMDR data to a PC using one of the DB9 shells that came with some cisco or another. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have more of those DB9 shells than I know what to do with. Instead of going to Radio Shack to buy a blank, I figured it would be easier to just construct a custom cable.

On the SMDR side, I left the cable as a default 568B pinout:

1 O/W
2 O
3 G/W
4 Bl
5 Bl/W
6 G
7 Br/W
8 Br

On the PC side (going into the cisco db9 shell):

1 Br/W
2 G/W
3 G
4 Bl
5 O/W
6 Bl/W
7 O
8 Br

This is for "bithead9". I posted the Avaya site for those who are a clutten for puninishment, (somebody wanted the full schematic). If you look down further, you will see where I posted a complete pin to pin layout. Follow it and all will be well.
John

Thank you for all this good information. I am about to make a cable for the SMDR port to a DB9 connector, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone had successfully tryed the DB9 pinout that TouchToneTommy posted above. That posting says that it has NOT been tried. So, before I go and solder a 9-pin connector, I was wondring if anyone has used it and/or tested it. And, if this pinout is incorrect, does someone have the correct pinout for the SMDR port to a DB9 female connector.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back