Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend R7 w/PRI E911 mandated regulatory deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaller

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2010
US
I'm faced with a mandatory deadline to provide E911 data from my several Merlin Legend R7 switches. Each has at least 1 old POTS (in pool 70) and a PRI in a pool numbered between 890-893. Can I just change the POOL on the PRIs to 70 and adjust my ARS tables to get the desired results or am I oversimplying this?

e911 is a little more involved than your description. i believe e911 function will require an upgrade to a MAGIX release. this also means no atl telephone sets nor atl ports in your configuration.legend r7 provides a 911 ars route, but not e911 information.

wireboy, thanks for the response. If I understand what you're saying - Even though the PRI is using Pool 70; it's configured to pass the calling ID number associated with the extension; the carrier (Comcast) has provided the location details for each of the PRI DIDs based on those numbers; the information won't be transmitted on a 911 call?

You should be able to do what you are trying to do. Flip the PRI to pool 70 since on a Legend 911 will always use pool 70. Then if you are sending out DID info and you have provided location details for the DID's you should be all set.

Thanks, Telecomboy. I am hoping to save myself the time and expense of reprogramming my four sites (3 of them with multiple cabinets) over to a MAGIX system. I will complete the programming change and test with the local authorities. I will post back here with my results. Thanks to all.

This works EXCEPT for the "9" capture on the ARS access code forces a second "9" to be entered to the dialing string (the dreaded 9-9-1-1 situation). Which leaves me wondering if I don't already have this situation with the old POTS lines. The first entry of the number "9" generates the line dialtone. I would configure an "11" pattern in the ARS table to add the second "9" in front of the string, but can I define an ARS table entry with only 2 digits (program options are: 6 digit, Exchange (3), Area Code (3), 1+7); does this work with one of these options?

network management is a large responsibility. my hat is off to you. i have always been a little leery of taking some shortcuts, knowing that 911/e911, toll restriction and other service levels of control can have unexpected results. i wish you only good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back