Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend Question/Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingmybest

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
I am setting up a Legend System mainly for the purpose of learning how to operate it. I am piecing it together so I don't have all the modules I will in the end. However, this is what I currently have:

-Power Supply
-Legend Processor R7 V12
-408 card (not an MLX card, just basic)

I know this card will work with the Legend processor with ATL phones, I believe. I have the cards in the order shown above, L to R. When I turn the power on the display on the processor shows a 'c' for a short time and then goes off. [First time or two I powered it up it showed an 'F' but that has changed to the 'c']. First, what does the 'c' mean? Second, when I connect an ATL phone and my regular phones line I get nothing. No dial tones or anything on the phone. There are no red lights on the cards/processors. What am I doing wrong?

I have an MLX card coming for MLX phones I have and also an GS/LS ID card, too. But I don't have those yet. Shouldn't this "basic" 408 card work with the processor? What do I need to know to get it functioning?

Thanks in advance! :-D

The "F" is full restart, i.e. starting from scratch

The "C" is cold start, restarting with something in memory

You should do a board renumber, then you should be able to plug your ATL phone in and get dial tone. If not, you may have a bad card or set.

Remember that you are in "Key" mode after a full restart, sp the buttons are Intercom Ring, Intercom Voice, Line 1, Line 2, etc. from the bottom.

after the way that the ATL card acted on the Merlin II, I would say that either you have a bad phone, or a bad card. If your system did a full restart, then you should not need to do a board renumber.

TTT: Well, I have both WinSPM and a 20L but I don't have any MLX cards for the system yet, so I can't use the phone as of yet.

aussie88: Yes, it showed an "F" the first couple of times and then switched to a "c" so I assume it restarted. When I install the new card(s) for the MLX phones will I need to do a renumber or a full restart. If so, what are the steps to do so?

Thank's, guys!

Plug the phone and/or PC serial port (if you're going to use SPM) into the ADMIN port on the processor card.

Ok...I'll try it tonight. Then what? Remember, I have zero experience with a Legend system other than making a couple of calls with Legend phones at other places. I connect the 20L to the admin port and then what do I need to do? Is it self-explanatory on the display?

Do yu have the manual?
It is available for free in pdf on the avaya web site.

I have a link setup to it. I'll check it out tonight when I get home and post if I have any problems....

No, you do not connect the 20L to the admin port, you connect the PC to the admin port. Do you have a 355A, or a 355AF adapter? You will need that. Then, you will choose "Direct" when SPM asks how you want to connect.

No, don't have the 355a. I'm beginning to get frustrated. If I can't get the system up after I get the other cards in and installed I'm going to part it out on eBay and forget it.

I could lend you a 355, if you promise to send it back....

But, for sure, a system of the design you have would not be very useful.

Let us know.....

Let me get all of the cards in first. I'll see how it goes, then. If I still have no luck then may take you up on your offer and see what I can discover with SPM. Either that or I'll throw in the towel and list all of the parts separately on eBay or something to recover my costs. If I can get it going my plan is to set it up permanently in my house but if not I'll sell it all and either look for something else or stick with just standard phones and no system. I have an 800 GS/LS ID card and a 008 MLX card ordered/enroute to me. If those don't get me anywhere then I'll consider my options.

Since I only have that one ATL phone and don't really want to buy another one just to test the cards with, it could be the phone. But I get no dial tone or anything when I connect it. I do get green lights and the 'c' on the little display on the processor, as mentioned, so that's good as far as I know so far.

Well, let me tell you about something that has screwed a few of my systems up. Slide out the processor, and lay it down on your lap, with the jacks facing AWAY from you, and the TOP of the card on your RIGHT side. Now, look on the upper side of the contacts, and look inside the card. You should see a little red stub, with two white dipswitches on your right, make sure that both dips are either up, or down. If one is up, and one is down, or vice-versa, that could causee a problem.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Checked it out. Both are pointed up. So, at least I know that isn't it. Thanks for the tip! Any others from anyone?

c is for cold start
f is for frigid start
i would wait till you get the mlx card and try that way.
dont put the backup card into the processor.and if all else fails you can pop the plastic housing off the processor and remove the battery strap for about 5mins and that will cause it to do a frigid which is good.you can also program the system with no cards in place and tell the system what cards it has in each slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back