Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend - New PRI unable to see D-CHNL PRI D-CHNL INOPERATIVE error 7003

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaller

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2010
US
thread689-1502433 "Trying to Port - D Channels not coming up" from bcuz789 Sept 2008.

The referenced thread above from September 2008 explains my problem nearly exactly.
I'm in the process of trying to Port our existing AT&T IPFlex PRI to Comcast (cost savings). I've successfully completed this at 3 out of 4 sites, but this final site is driving me nuts. The Legend is currently running with a R6.1 v11.0 processor, but I've tried replacing it with a known "good" R7.0 v14.2 processor card with the same results.
The reason I'm posting is that although the above referenced thread is closed, I don't see a resolution.

This Legend has three (3) cabinets and 16 cards. I have taken some spare equipment and built a "test" switch with 3 cards (processor/408MLX/100D). If I plug the new Comcast PRI into the 100D card, the D-Channel comes up. If I plug the AT&T PRI into the 100D card, the D-Channel DOES NOT come up.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated. If anyone remembers if there was a resolution for bcuz789, I think that's all I need.

What is your switch type programmed as for the PRI? I bet it is not the same as the other sites.

Telecomboy,

Thanks for your reply, but ALL of my switches (including the "Test" switch I referred to in my post) are 5ESS. And before someone asks, I've confirmed that the D-CHNL hasn't found it's way into the B-CHNL Group or Pool.

So, just trying to clarify.... the new Comcast circuit does work on your test switch but not on the real system? If so, I would go through the PRI programming for both comparing the two.

I have, meticulously, and had others review them as well.
Until the test switch worked and brought up the D-CHNL, I was convinced that the problem was on Comcast's side. After finding and reading bcuz789's post from 2008 yesterday, I decided to take the test one step further and test the AT&T PRI circuit (which has been working on my production switch since it was installed 5 years ago) on the test switch - it fails to bring up the D-CHNL. So, to recap... AT&T works on the "real" system and fails on the test system; Comcast WORKS on the test switch and fails on the "real" switch.

Have you made absolute sure Comcast is programmed as 5ESS on their end? I have had too many times where they say they are and then it ends up they are really programmed as NI2. I know it worked on your test switch, but I would still verify with them (and not the cut sheet, have them check the actual programming).

If they hadn't programmed properly for 5ESS then the "test" switch wouldn't have worked.

I admit that they LOVE NI2, and it was probably my 5th conversation with one of their installation team before 5ESS was "saved" on their equipment, but it has been consistent for the past 7 conversations.

I've just seen it too many times, no matter how many times pre-install you bring it up, that they still have it programmed NI2. The crazy thing is, sometimes NI2 will work for a while before failing. That is why even though it is working on the test switch that I would still verify. I once spent 2 days and numerous techs with ATT swearing it was programmed custom 5ESS when it was finally escalated to an engineer who double checked their router programming only to discover it was programmed NI2.

I agree that a switch type mismatch or incorrect programming on my end are the most likely problems with D-CHNL issues, but I've talked to 10 members of the Comcast installation team about this site specifically. They tell me they have limited switch types that they can use, but I've worked with them in bringing up 3 other circuits successfully.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge of bcuz789's specific resolution? I presume that they were ultimately successful in resolving the D-Channel error.

Telecomboy, Do you have any phone technique advice for dealing with recalcitrant techs that insist that the switch programming is correct on their end?

The only thing I would say is that their paperwork (database) can be different than their actual programming. Every time I've had an issue with the switch type being wrong the initial techs you talk to are just reading how it says it is programmed according to their database. You need to make sure they have an engineer actually remote into the router and verify the settings are indeed correct. I can't count how many times the initial tech says it is programmed Custom/legacy 5ESS and then once an engineer actually looks at the live configuration of their router it turns out to be configured NI2.

I worked with a Comcast engineer this morning. If he changed the "Protocol Emulation" on their AdTran 908e from "network" (The IAD when connected to CPE acts as the switch) to "user" (The IAD acts as the CPE) and the D-CHNL came up. Unfortunately, Comcast's maintenance group warns that if set to "User" then it causes calling problems. Does anyone know if there's some equivalent PRI or Line setting on the Merlin that I'm missing that needs to sync with this???

I purchased a sunset on line for about $75.00 to handle this kind of issue. As a 5ESS tech my self, The one thing we always needed to do was to restore the D channel in the switch. When it is first brought up, it is in CADN type mode. We would restore it to an OOS condition. It would then come up if a proper D channel was attached. In this area, we default to 5ESS custom. I had the exact issue you had and it was the sunset and the engineer that got part of it correct. I am not a merlin fan, and just because I know the 5ESS switch so well, does not make me know a lot about the CPE end. So B8ZS for starters and NATIONAL most likely in your area. The issue I had was the card placed by the company tech. Good thin g I knew both the boss and the tech and between the three of us, we managed to get that part working. Tommy was also a big help as I have little knowledge of the merlin gear or partner gear. If you are in a remote area and they used an ADTRAN REACH product, it is possible the build is incorrect. I would get the tech back on site and have him show you that the D channel comes up as well as the B channels. The Sunset does emulate the card in the Merlin. You can then mess with the parameters on the sunset and when it works, use those and that's how I got mine up. On the B channels, be sure they use TEN type programming for the channels for individual pots lines. Each channel needs to be brought up one by one once you have D channel connectivity. A Sunset would not be a bad idea to have when you have T1 on premise. they are pretty cheap now since they are out of business and the companies have gone to different gear. Be sure if you get one, that it has all the options on the cards. I can loan you one if you like, I have 2 of them.

realfoneguy,

Thanks for the contribution and the loan offer. I'd given this post up for dead and I've been working with merlinman outside of the forum to see if there's anything on the Legend I've screwed up. There're still a couple of things to test, but no luck yet. Forgive my ignorance, but I presume that the Sunset is one of the Sunrise Telecom testing sets. Any specific model? Thanks again.

Problem Resolved..!!!???
In the course of the first conversation I’ve had with Comcast in over a month, I gave merlinman's switch type substitution to DMS100 a try. That had no effect, but one of their technicians asked me to change the switch type to Legend-PBX. I explained that was for Merlin-to-Merlin communications w/one end configured for “Ntwk” and the other for “PBX” and was mutually exclusive of “5ESS” or “DMS100” or any other switch type. In any event, thinking I was humoring them, I set the PRI Switch type to Legend-PBX. As expected, it didn’t resolve anything, but when I and Comcast changed the switch type back to 5ESS, the D-Channel came up on the circuit. After reprogramming the B-Chnl Group, lines, etc., everything is operational and the AT&T IPFlex VTNs have been ported. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

As I told schaller, that's a new one to me. It could have been one of those "CARRIER MIRACLES" we see from time to time. However, either way, I'm keeping that in my notes just in case. If I ever use that trick, I'll mention it on this Forum someplace.

I have had good luck setting up all of my switches with dms250 emulation
straight 5ess protocol does not work on legend, must be 5e-custom from AT&T
other vendors don't seem to know what the difference is
( I don't either,other than custom doesn't have clid names )
so dms is a protocol they all know, even AT&T
and legend doesn't support ni2

Bill Gallivan,
Diplomacy- a way of saying "nice doggie", , while you get out your stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back