Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend 7.0 Toll Restriction / Allow Speed Dialing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiemr3

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
Is there a way to toll restrict all call on a phone on a Merlin Legend 7.0, but allow that phone to dial speed dial numbers. I would appreciate a step by step method to set this up if possible. Thanks Jamie

You can (sort of) do this:
Toll restrict the extension.
Enter the allowed-to-call number in an AllowList table.
Assign the extension to that AllowTo List.
Program a button on the phone to AutoDial the number.

Note that you cannot enter the entire phone number in an AllowList, can only enter a "1" plus six digits. So it is possible for the phone to call another number within the same area code and exchange. The AllowList will not look at the last four digits of an eleven-digit toll number, so a button for auto-dialing would be a good idea and hopefully the user will not figure out they can manually dial a different, similar, number.

OK I am using WinSPM to make the adjusments, I too need to allow speed dials from otherwise restricted phones.

As I look at the Allowed/Disallowed Lists screen there are three columns:
Available Extensions / Selected Extensions / List Entries

As I look at the list entries, either an area code or area code & exchange of a specific number.

I am guessing but if I wish to add other numbers to the allowed numbers I should include their area code and/ or area code/exchange to the list entries for a particular list then ensure the phones I want to restrict have that same list number checked on the Telephone restricions page/Allowed List tab.

Is that right?

Yes if you add the numbers you want to allow from your speed dial list to list "1" for example, then ensure the restricted extensions have list 1 checked they'll be able to dial those speed dial numbers.

Here's the rub. If you put 123-4567 on your speed dial list and 123 on your allow list it will allow any number in the 123 exchange. For local calls I like to restrict things a bit more by putting either the exact number or the first 6 of 7 digits (123456) in the list entry column. This reduces the number of valid numbers that can be dialed, and is beneficial if there are sequential numbers for a customer/vendor on your speed dial list.

Thanks. So, I assume if the list has a number in all 10 lines I need to add the numbers to another list?

Yep that's correct. You simply add other lists to the extensions in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back