Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail version 13 and Opt 61c

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Sixty

Technical User
Feb 28, 2005
GB
Hi Everyone

I have tried to install a Meridian Mail node (Version 13) on my Opt 61c and I am having a few problems and was wondering could anyone help.

I have installed all the cables and set all the various switches on the MSDL card,Mail back plane.MMP40 card etc. The problem I have is I can see the MMP40 card and it loads the various stages and finishes with an A in the display with a blinking dot. The problem is I do not get a Meridan Mail logon prompt. If I reboot the system I can see the MMP40 card start up and pass all the self tests. It finds the SCSI devices the hard drive and tandberg tape drive But it goes so far and then I get no header back from the mail terminal.

I have tried to reload with the tape but I do not receive the options on my terminal to reload the system.

I think I have a faulty MMP40 card or utility card and was wondering could someone shed any light on this one for me.

Just a few quick points.

The AML link is established
The mail is a single hard drive unshadowed system
The Mail configue in the node is as follows

Slot 0 VP8
Slot 5 Utility Card
Slot 6 MMP40

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Marshall

Hello Marshall,

Forgive my MM rustiness but this is what I'd do in a similar situation.

First a quick overview:

The AML link carries what I refer to as all "D" channel information. Meaning numbers and data passed back and forth to setup the call or other session activity.

The network connection, thick black cables (if I remember correctly) that go from MM to your ENET card actually carry the voice.

It sounds like you're saying the call gets established within MM but just no voice. Confirm this by monitoring your agents, done on the PBX side by STATing your ENET card, to see if they go busy while the call is active and then idle once you hang up. Also verify that the MM port is going active when you are in a call. Do this either from the system status tab when you are logged out or if you are logged in and at the main menu go to 5 then 1 (I forget the names of the sub-menu items).

If everything indicates that things are going active/idle when they should you can start troubleshooting.

First I'd do the simple (never been able to explain it but with Meridians it often works) unplug and reinsert all cables and cards related to that voice/network connection. I can't recall if it's the utility or MMP40 card that the network cable plugs into but that's easy enough to look up. Then I'd start replacing/swapping things one-by-one to see if things start/stop working.

I'll stop there as this is all under the assumption that the problem is lack of voice related. I'll check again to see if we hear back from you and we can go from there. I'll have my notes/referrence material then and can be better assistance.

V

I've come across a simular problem with accessing a Miran Card via the standard TTY port. I tend to press the "~" button (above the # key. It refreshes the screen & then enabled s me to see the main Miram login screen.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Thanks Guys for the suggestions. The problem I have is when I go directly on to the Mail Node I can not set the Meridan mail login screen forgeting about the enet and MSDL cards etc. If i reset the MMP40 card I can see the mail boot up and watch the diagnostics on the 5 port fan out cable. But I can not see the Meridian Mail login screen. I have tried control R to refresh the screen bit still no header. I have tried to reload the Meridian Mail but I do not see any options to reload the Mail. I have reloaded mail on other systems and when you install the mail tape you get various options. But I get nothing and the MMP40 card sets at 4 with a blinking dot.

I thought the Meridian Mail could be configured via the RS232 port on the back regardless if you have it connected to the Meridian 1 or not. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Again any help is always appreciated

Marshall

i thing you can only adjust the mail from the tools screen. older mail booted at 96, ran through the boot then told the installer to change baud rate to 1200.. it's been 6 years since i did an new install so i can't be much help.. i did do a reinstall a couple of years back and the term was at 96 from start to finish

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Sorry about misreading your post. I was thinking you couldn't get a login prompt (voice) via a handset...

You're right about being able to configure MM without being connected to the PBX. SLT0 is the port you want to use on the octopus cable although I believe it is possible to change those settings while configuring the system.

Can we backup a minute? Is this a new install, meaning you've never gotten the install tape to work? Have you already done the install config and were rebooting into service when you noticed you never received the main logon screen?

When you say on it's own it boots up to an A with a blinking dot that sounds like it's been loaded. Assuming you did go through the config is it possible you changed the port settings while trying to config a printer, auto-admin or something along those lines? I seem to recall that if the port is configured as a printer it can still output the startup diagnostics, which may explain why you see that but no login.

I have never set it up. I have been tasked with making it work . The system has no login prompt after the boot up sequence and I did not load the tapes.I tried to reload the tapes but I get no options to load the software when I put the mail tape in the tandberg and reset the mmp40 card.

Regards,

Marshall

thanks for the information anyway, i had a MM mail similar problem that your earlier posts helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back