Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail Remote Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonechic

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I am having a problem with remote notification working on a mail box. It was working until yesterday. Other mail boxes set up with remote notification are still working. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Has the user made any changes to their voicemail options since yesterday? The user may need to verify they have remote notification turned on and for what calls (All or Urgent).

Mike

Remote notification is set up to page 3 users for all messages left from 7am-6pm. Everything looks fine in the programming. I have even tried deleting the mail box and rebuilding it, and it is still not working.

What is the system calling (IE pager, cell phone, land line)? You mentioned it is calling 3 people. Was there any changes made recently to this box (IE adding a new user)?

Mike

The system is calling a numeric/text pager. This voice mail box is set up for our Help Desk, which has 5 employees. Orginally they were set up in 3 different groups. 7am-3pm, 7am-6pm, and 3pm-6pm. They changed it to page from 7am-6pm, and page only 3 people last week in an attempt to make it work. The last change befor that was to change pager numbers a couple of months ago. The Help Desk personnel has access to the voice mail system to reset passwords and change pager numbers for the remote notification. I just found out that the paging problem started long before they reported it to us (telecom dept). They occasionally receive pages, but more often than not, they do not receive the pages. The DN for the voice mail box is not an extension on a phone, callers get put in this mail box after hearing "all available reps are currently helping other customers, press one if you would like to leave a message... or continue to hold," so there is not MWI extension.

Run an Outcalling Audit Trail. This will show you everything that is being sent out from the VM system. Also, check your permission/restriction list if applicable. If your system is set up to allow only specific numbers be dialed out from the VM system, the number for the pager in question may be incorrect.

Isn't that always the case? :p They make it sound like it just happened.

If all other remote notification users are working properly, then it would have to be something with their programming. Maybe they forgot to put a 9 in front of the pager number, or maybe they have a pin number required. They could have also selected the wrong type of pager in the remote notification settings.

My suggestion would be to look at their programming by going in to Meridian Mail, go to User Administration, View/Modify, enter in DN, page down and line up cursor to Remote Notification Schedules, Press F8 for more details, verify current state is on, verify the times are enabled, check the target DN's to see if they have the correct pager number, check which of Phone, Tone, Voice, Numeric, or Service is selected.

Check these first and let us know. Thanks.

Mike

It was the programming. The mail box was set up in a class of service that has a prompt for MWI. There was no extension set up for the MWI - it was left blank because no one person was responsible for checking the mail box. I changed the programming to a class of service that specifically deleted the MWI prompt. I'm not sure if it was the MWI that was confusing the system, but that was the only change I made, everything else remained the same. I've done several tests, and the pages have gone out.
Thanks for all your help.
Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back