Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail delayed messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm5000

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2009
US
I've got a user who is complaining that messages are being delivered 1-3 days late. This same user had the same complaints a couple of years ago and now it's resurfaced again.

From what he says, it's not just that the light doesn't come on, but if he logs in and checks his messages, it says the mailbox is empty. Then later on, the light will come on and he'll have a messages that was left way before the last time he checked and Meridian said his mailbox was empty (Run-on sentence, anyone?).

I've changed his port, his DN, the actual wires that go to the patch panel, the handset, and deleted his mailbox and recreated it with the new DN. Anyone heard of such a thing before?

This does happen a lot with the old Meridian Mail systems and for many different reasons. Message indication is low priority, so if all ports are in use when it tries to send out the original it will not be able to. You should be able to stat the ports and see what your useage is like. I have also seen this happen when people have a lot of messages in the system (not just the one complaining)Clearing out dead mailboxes and old messages to free up space seems to help. I am sure there are a lot of other things out there too, that others have experienced, but that seems to be the main culprits on the systems that I have worked on in the past.

I do have tons of defunct mailboxes that still have old messages. I'll try clearing those out first.

Strange that it would only be 1 person, though.. unless everyone else is just ignoring it.

It just happened again to this user a few minutes ago.. and the 2 "new" messages that just appeared in his mailbox were from June 21 and November 18.. almost 6 months ago.

A reboot may help but they really need to wake up and get rid of MerMail

intermittent delayed messages on the Meridian Mail. I have never heard of such a thing.

Welcome to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back