Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian MAil Back-up cartridge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperen

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2005
TR
Hi everyone,

I am trying to Back-up my meridian mail system. But i have faced with a problem. I have a SLR5-8 GB tape cartridge and when i tried to back up on this tape i saw following message:

VS2T %100 DONE
VS202T %100 DONE
VS1T %0 DONE

ERROR:KEEP TAPE AND INSERT TAPE NUMBER 2.

I continued without changing tape,and the following message has appeared:

ERROR:KEEP TAPE AND INSERT TAPE NUMBER 3.

I have another tape (DC6250 SLR1 - 250 MB). And there is no problem when i tried to back-up.All the data is backed-up successfully.

Do you have any idea about what is wrong? Should i do anything (like partition or format) before using this tape?

Thanks for your helps....

just need a second tape, the 1st one is full, when you bypass the request for a second tape, the mail still see's that as a full tape and request a third

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thank you for reply.
But the cartridge is new. I didn't use it anywhere.
And the data is 166 MB. and i could back it up on 250 mb cartridge...

Wrong tape. Meridian Mail uses SLR-4 tape drives that require SLR-4 or DC6250 tapes. Old systems had a drive that required DC6250 tapes.

Telecomnorth,
Is it written anywhere? I will write a report and i need proofs.:)

Tandberg makes the SLR tape drives so you can try their web site for information. Imation makes many of the tapes used with SLR drives and their site has a SLR tape compatibility matrix PDF. As the SLR-4 tape drive is long-in-the-tooth not all resellers stock SLR-4 tapes. Sony may also make SLR-4 tapes.

I have an SLR-4 and I use Imation 2.5 GB tapes. I have not had a problem yet.

Same here SLR-4 and the Imation 2.5 GBtapes for 4 years now for a growing user base and never a problem.

Which is a good point. My calling Imation tapes SLR-4 may be incorrect.

Imation Magnus 2GB and 2.5GB are compatible with SLR-4 tapes drives. Imation Magnus 4GB are not compatible with SLR-4 drives but are with the SLR-5 drives used with CallPilot i200 and i201 platforms.

And let's not forget the Tandberg Data dry cleaning cartridge: part# 5678-2. Good for 50 cleanings of SLR drives. Tandberg recommends a weekly cleaning and after every use of a new tape. Of course many a MerMail has run backups for years with never a tape drive cleaning but that may be a risk not worth taking.

Thanks everyone,

I found compatibility matrix on Nortel site. It is written that 'DC-9250 (Magnus 2.5, QIC-2GB),DC6250 and DC300XL, DC600A (QIC-24)' are compatible with meridian mail. SLR-5 is compatible with callpilot (201i, 200i).

So, anyone needs SLR5-8GB cartridge:) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back