Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging two columnc into one 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinselas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2002
AU
How do I merge 2 column of numbers into one column
please help

Hi,

MERGE can mean several things in the Excel environment.

Please explain with explicit detail, what you mean?

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

An account number has been split into two columns. I need to combine the 2 columns.

If merging column A with column B into column C, insert the following formula into column C:

=A1&" "&B1

If you don't need a space between them, delete the &" "&.

Then do the following on column C:

Copy > Paste Special > Values

There you go kinselas!

BTW, that's called CONCATENATING data.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Ok, so how do you do the opposite? I have a column that was made quick and dirty, and now I want to break it up.
The column looks like [PrinterMake PrinterModel PrinterSerial#] basically 3 parts of information, each separated by a space. ( I ensured no spaces within each part of info.) How can I please divide this column into 3 separate columns?
Thanks!

Use the Text to columns command with space as the delimiter. This gets the 3 columns.

Insert blank columns to the right of the column containing your data.
From the Data menu select Text to Columns. You'll be given the option to specify whether the columns are fixed or delimited, then to specify the delimiter (i.e. space).

Thanks a bunch!
I havent used Access in so long I need to get back on the horse with syntax and formatting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back