Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

merging similar data from multiple tables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemoon

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
I am working on bringing data from excel into an access database. I have multiple, identically structured, tables which I have imported from excel. These tables all have "ID" and "comments" fields. I would like to bring the "comments" data from these multiple tables and match them up with "ID" data currently in an access table.

I could take multiple tables and append them one-by-one to a new table. Then I could do an update query with this table to bring the "comments" into the existing access table.

However, this process seem very round about. Does anyone have some suggestions on a more direct way of doing this?

thanks for any advice,

gemoon

HY,
maybe you could use the UNION-statement in the SQL expression to put the tables together. The UNION-statement is not a standard part of the query-building interface of ACCESS, but very powerfull.

thanks,
i tried the union statement and it works great.

gemoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back