Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging Groups (Very Urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buh

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I am having a report which contains 6 groups. Because of having more groups, it is taking more space in paper for group itself. Is there any possibility of merging all the
six groups in to one groups. That is, i want to create a single group for multiple columns. If it possible.Please help me in this subject.Please tell me the way. If i have to use the formula, please give the script for that.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Buhari

CR can do multiple columns, but you can't automatically start a new column with each group. To see the column feature go in to Format-Section, select the detail section and check the option to the bottom for multiple columns.

Also, have you tried a cross-tab or do you need the details to print? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

You can always create a group using a formula to reduce the number of overall groups.

for example:

Say you had a report with 2 groups (Company Name and Branch ID}

you could create a formula called Group1

@Group1

{Table.companyname} + "/" + {Table.BranchID}

group on this formula...now you have 1 group whereas before you had two

hope this helps Jim

JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

Thanks Ngolem,

That works fine. But If i want to show all the columns separately, it is a tedious process. I have to split each word which starts after "/" .Any way to reduce the process

No...No...that formula is just for grouping....in the header or detail section you can put the individual fields anywhere you want....ONLY use the grouping formula for grouping ...not display.

Actually if you are careful in your design...you can pack in more fields in one formula...if they are mixed string and number then use totext to convert the numbers to strings...then they will be sorted alphabetically

sometimes if there can be a problem with the size of the grouped field since one or more of the fields that make up the "group" may vary a lot in length...it that happens then allocate a certain space to each field and pad the unused space with single spaces...that often gets around that problem

Jim

JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

Thanks. I will try that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back