Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging files into another file depending on name file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brlissab

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
CH
Hi there!
HI have a principal pdf file. That pdf file contains many pages, and on each page there's a reference number. That reference number points to another pdf file. The others pdfs file's name ARE the reference number on the principal number.
So be more clear, u've got on the page 1 in the principal pdf file a reference number for example 222-3. On page 2 u've got a reference number 222-4, etc etc...I would know if it is possible to merge the pdf files 222-3 and 222-4 (example) into the principal file.
What kind of language could i use to read the principal pdf file to read the references number and merge the other files (with the ref names) into the main pdf file?
Possible?
Let me know if i am enough clear!

Is there any actual information on the pages in the main document, other than the reference number on the other PDF? If not, you could just use the menu feature, File, Create PDF, from Multiple Files - and select the outer files by sequence number.

Fred Wagner

Thank u for interest in my case.
Actually on the main pdf, each page contains information, but the relevant information for me are the name of the other's pdf that i wanna merge.
So actuallly i have the main pdf that contains for example a information for example, in page 1 45-16-97-00001 and i have on a folder that pdf who calls 45-16-97-00001. on page 2 i will have 56-34-12-00002. Also on the other folder, have also the pdf file who calls 56-34-12-00002...etc etc.
Actually the main pdf is generated from excel sheets, saw on a site that i could also manipulate pdf, with vba, a language that i understand. Maybe u could advise me on the proper way to do it without to buy a software license.
Thanks anyway.

Are the numbers such as 45-16-97-00001 in a particular cell of the excel file? If so, you could use vba to set up a loop and do the merge of pdf files. I have code that I use in MS-Access to create pdf files and then merge them, so the code probably would work in excel.

Yes the references to the drawings (who are the same) are in a particular colum. And the page (+1) where the drawings must be merged are on the same row, but on another colum.

excelindex.jpg
[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back