Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging different database years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron60

Technical User
Jan 31, 2013
US
Hi all,
My company has a database that was created in 1995 and it quit working properly when we updated to Access 2010, so not know much about access I created a new database with new tables, forms everything I thought I needed. Then while searching the web trying to learn more I learned I could just copy everything from one to another. Now I have to tables of personnel with different fields. The new table has the new personnel information and the old table is the one management wants to use.
What I am trying to do is take the new table with all its fields and records and put them in the old table, creating any fields that don't match and inserting the new records with the old. I have tried merging, union, append and nothing has worked, probably because I am a newbie and don't understand it all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What did not work when you tried an append query? That is how you have to do it. Also it is confusing on what you want to keep and use. Since you created new tables, new forms, etc do you want to use those? If that is the case then you would want to insert all of your old records into your new table. If you want to use your old table and associated forms and reports, then import them into a new database. Then insert your new records into the old table. Your post is confusing which way you want to go.
There is not an easy way to add fields (columns) and records (rows) at the same time. So you need to ensure that the table you insert into first has corresponding fields. Then just do a simple append query. There are lots of examples on the internet

Thanks for the quick response. I want to use the new forms and old tables, adding the new table data to the old. The new tables have new fields and records that the old does not have. The old tables have 3 times as much info that is needed. So I was thinking it would be easier to put the smaller tables(new) into the larger tables(old). The new forms are more user friendly than the old forms, so will use the new. Will work on the queries and reports later.
When I did the appends I kept getting errors and nothing would happen. When I didn't get errors nothing changed. I will try adding the new table fields to the old table and append that way. I was just trying to short work time. New table has about 30 fields and 16 records, old table has close to 50 fields and 164 records.
I will go the the links and try everything until I get it right. Thanks a million, at least now I know which direction to go, instead of stumbling in the dark.
Thanks

If that is the case it would be a whole lot easier to insert the old data into the new table, because the new table has all the desired fields and the forms work with the new fields.

Is it possible that you're getting errors because you're trying to APPEND when you should UPDATE?

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back