Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging data from two fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKONOS

Technical User
May 2, 2001
US
Hello once again!

This time my question pertains to a situation that was dumped on me to fix.

My problem: An application that enables users to write data to the database I’m extracting my information from for Crystal doesn’t have a spell-checker or pull-down menu for table name entries.

What I need help with: Having stated my problem above, it seems that one of the users miss-spelled a supervisors name, which in turn, is used as a table field name.

· Example: Table {@level_name}
· Correct entry [Emily Krickhan]
· Incorrect entry [Emily Krickhen]

What I do in Crystal: The report I created in Crystal pulls all the data and separates it by the {@level_name} field. Therefore, since “Emily’s” name was put into the database twice, once correct and the other incorrect, my report shows both {@level_name} spellings, with records associated to each spelling. Two sets of records, supposed to be only one.

Results: Is there a way, in CR8.5, to merge these two fields, So that the records from both {@level_name} can all fall under one “correctly” spelled {@level_name}?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I would suggest creating a field that checks for this misspelling, and then group on the new field. instead of the {@level_name}

{@spell check}
if {@level_name} ="Emily Krickhen" then "Emily Krickhan"
else {@level_name}

The field can be used for multiple misspelling:
if {@level_name} ="Emily Krickhen" then "Emily Krickhan" else
if {@level_name} ="Emily Kricheen" then "Emily Krickhan" else
if {@level_name} ="Bob Smyth" then "Bob Smith"
else {@level_name}
Mike

Thanks for the quick response Mike.

By chance, your last name isn't Barron, did you grow up in Richmond, Virginia?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back