Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging Data based on Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

renee35

MIS
Jan 30, 2007
I am trying to sum data based on a specified criteria. The data below represents what I am trying to accomplish. What I need is to sum column B based on column A having the same value. If the value in column A is not the same, then return the value in column B.

A B
1 8
2 4
3 9
3 15
4 6
5 8
5 14
5 20

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks a bunch!!

-T

Hi,

Check out the PivotTable Wizard.

Data > PivotTable...

But before you try, your columns must each have a unique heading.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for the suggestion, however I currently have a Pivottable created. I need the data summed before pulling it into the table because I only want to pull in values over a certain dollar amount? I tried the SUMIF function, but not sure how the criteria part would be written?

Thanks a bunch!!

-T

I only want to pull in values over a certain dollar amount
Before or after the summing? Could you give an example?

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Confused - why would you not just use the Pivot table features to exclude the data you don't want.

You could also simply add a 3rd column, and use something like =IF(A2=B2,A2,B2) if what you want is one of the two values no matter what, OR, if what you are actually looking for is the sum of ONLY the data where A=B, then just add a 3rd column, and use =A2=B2 and copy down. Now just throw that field into the page fields and filter on TRUE or FALSE depending on what you want.

Just not 100% sure what it is you are after.

Regards
Ken.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GlennUK

what I mean by values over a certain $ amnt is: anything over 1 million I don't want listed in the report?

For example, in the list above if column A "5" three rows added up to be 1 million or more that value shouldn't appear. This is after summing the like values.

Thanks a bunch!!

-T

Ken,

Thanks for your response, however I only need the data to be summed if column A has the same value listed more than once. In the example, there are 3 rows where the value for column A is "5". I need those 3 rows added based on them having the same value in column "A". Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks a bunch!!

-T

It would be MUCH easier to comprehend, if you posted a concrete example, illustrating your dilemma.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

With additional column in pivot table (assumed row field is 'A', data field is 'B' with
'Sum' as domain function):
- add calculation field to the pivot table and formula: =(B >1000000). As a result you should get
another column with values either 0 (out of condition) or 1 (matched),
- in field 'A' advanced settings choose 'show top' and set the value to '1'.
Due to recalculation rules, you need both 'B' as data field and calculation field after 'B'.

combo

I think you should try using the "SUMPRODUCT" function.
If you need an example let me know.

Steve

Hi renee35:

How about posting the expected result(s) for the data in your original post ... along with an explanation as to why that is the correct result -- that would help the viewers in clearly seeing what you are trying to accomplish.

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
Energy Efficient Building Network LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back