Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge successful - But not added.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekgordon

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Guys,

I have ArcServe 7 and Netware 6 sp2, when I try and merge the information for a tape - The merge operations takes about an hour and reports back as successful.

When I then go into the tape info (via Restore Manager) and try and drill down into the session information I am unable to!

I have scanned the tape and this logs all the files to a text file - So I know they do exist on the tape.

I just can't view the session information or merge any other tapes.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

I had this problem when i used to be in charge of backups a while ago. The way i used to fix it was to shutdown arcserve on the Netware box. browse to where you have arserve on the server and rename the Database directory folder database_old or something like that. I then created a new Database folder and copied the blank Database files into this. (we had a copy of the initial blank database folder so i was easy to copy it - if you dont have this im not sure im you need to reinstall Arcserve or not) Once this was down do a merge and the files should all be viewable. Hope this helps as I didnt ever actually install arcserve on the server only managed backups/restores etc.

I had this exact problem Derek, I raised a support call with ca regarding this issue and they finally came back to me with this fix!!

Here's the fix(identical to the above fix):

1. Shutdown arcserve on the Netware box.

2. Browse to where you have arserve on the server and rename the Database directory folder database_old or something like that.

3. Created a new Database folder and copy the blank Database files into this. (we had a copy of the initial blank database folder so it
was easy to copy it - if you dont have this im not sure im you need to reinstall Arcserve or not)

4. Once this was completed do a merge and the files should all be viewable.

5. You will need to merge in all your tapes again, however it's now fixed and working fine. It took
5 weeks for them to get back to us -

Good Luck
Jon

Yeah, my ARCServe 2000 database takes hits even if you look at it funny. I think CA knows it's bad, cause under the Server Admin tools they allow for reinitializing the individual database components or the full database without doing all that copying or re-installing.

May want to check it out. Would not be the 1st time that I have had CA tech support tell me the "long" way around to do something they already had as a feature within their program.

Also, the database maintenance routines are a joke. A cruel one at that.

Regards,

Don Osicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back