Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge Replication problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

quisar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
IN
Hi!!

Can any of you please help me with the following:
Problems/Queries in merge replication in SQL Server 2000(remotely, one server in mumbai and other in Baroda, connection thr VSAT, 12kbps)

1. If replication is already going on, new tables needs to be added then how to do this without stopping replication or overwriting data at both ends.

2. If I want to create different publication in which different articles will be added, it gives error, SQL not configured for per seat licence. How to handle this? The SQlserver that the client has is SQL 2000 standard edition with 5 users licence.

3. If replication is not to be used then what is an alternative to it?

4. There are errors like "Merge process couldn't retrieve column information for table dbo.table name". I found the solution to this by overwriting a stored procedure sp_ins,sp_sel,sp_upd from publisher to subscriber for tables giving errros. But I don;t know how procedures at both ends were different. These procedures are created when we establish replication and we don't modify them. But they were different. In case we know how they change we can avoid the problem we faced recently(Data didn't replicate for 4 days, till i found the solution on net, but don't know the cause)

Regards,

Quisar

1) You can go ahead and modify your publication by adding tables to your publisher. When you start synchronization, SQL will first make sure that all databases are identical before it starts to make the new table changes. If you are adding tables, then they will just move over to the subscriber.
2) The only way I got around this problem was to reinstall SQL Server and select the Per Seat License. Maybe microsoft's site has another way to do this.
3) It sounds like merge replication is the way to go.
4) Modifying the merge sp's is not a good idea. Maybe you can uninstall/reintall the replication. SQL adds these stored procedures when a database is configured for merge replication. Even if you remove all tables as a subscriber, the system tables and stored procedures remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back