Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

merge records issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

myspiral

Technical User
Jun 11, 2004
CA
I have a table with records that i need to merge
ie
FirstName LastName Phone Address
Ken Smith 555-0000
Ken Smith 123 4th st

BECOMES
Ken Smith 555-0000 123 4th st

there are more field than this, but this is a good example.
Sometimes 1 record may be missing a phone and the other has it, sometimes its the address. Any advice?

What if you have...

Ken Smith 555-0000 123 4th st
Ken Smith 777-0000 456 5th st

Which record would you keep...

or are you for sure you will only have 2 instances of a name and one field will be populated in each table?

I have a user interface and some rather complex code that does that. Before we get to that however, what would you expect to happen if you had
[tt]
Ken Smith 555-0000 567 Main St
Ken Smith 555-1111 123 4th st
Ken Smith 123 4th st
Ken Smith 555-0000
[/tt]
It's easy enough to write UPDATE statements that match two records and plug values into NULL fields but the situation with more than two records and/or non-null but different field values is trickier.

[small]On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. (Charles Babbage)[/small]

good question should have put that in my initial post.
that set I would keep both as the records are not really duplicates. I only want to merge where one field is null and the other is not.

Then something of the form
Code:
UPDATE myTable T1 INNER JOIN myTable T2
       ON T1.FirstName = T2.FirstName AND 
          T1.LastName  = T2.LastName

Set T2.Phone = T1.Phone

Where T2.Phone IS NULL 
  AND T1.Phone IS NOT NULL
should update your Phone numbers.

[small]On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. (Charles Babbage)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back