Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge like multiple records on text file import into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech217

Technical User
May 29, 2001
I am importing 3 different text files into a worksheet.
Each record consists of a number and a timestamp.
When the number is the same(it is repeated in each file), I want to be able to merge the records and calculate elapsed time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Mark C.

Mark,

I named the two ranges Num and Date

I have the list of unique numbers starting in D2
[tt]
MAX: =IF(ISNA(INDEX(Date,MATCH(D3,Num,0)-1,1)),INDEX(Date,COUNT(Date),1),INDEX(Date,MATCH(D3,Num,0)-1,1))
MIN: =INDEX(Date,MATCH($D2,Num,0),1)
[/tt]
so max-min+1 is your day span

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

This is a little over my head, please walk me thru setting this up.

Thanks

Regards,
Mark C.

On Naming Ranges faq68-1331 How can I rename a table as it changes size

Since there are 2 rather complex formulas, one for the MIN date and the other for the MAX date associated with a number (assuming, BTW, that the table is sorted by Number, by Date) the result that you are looking for is the difference plus one.

1) Name the Column Hadings, Num & Date

2) Select the entire table

3) Insert/Name/Create - create names in top row -- now your ranges of data in your table is named Num and Date

4) sort the table

5) gen a list of unique Nbrs using Data/Advanced Filter - Filter to a New Location, no criteria, unique values

6) using that list (mine is in COLUMN D) enter the two formulas for the first line, modify the references -- notice that the MAX formula has a reference D3,to the NEXT Number

assuming that the Number list is in Column D, the MAX formula is in Column E and the MIN formula is in Column F, then in G
[tt]
=E2-F2+1
[/tt]
is the Day Span for the number in D2

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thanks for your help Skip, that looks like it will work for this case. Unfortunately, I talked to the end user today and the files coming in will be different.

Regards,
Mark C.

Well how WILL they be formatter?

Skip,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back