Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge Join Finishing before Previous Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbohon

Programmer
Apr 20, 2000
US
We're fairly new to SSIS (SQL Server 2005) and, in our first team effort, we've run into a problem we just can't figure out.

Two sources are sorted in two separate Sort operations, sent through a Merge Join to pull a facility code out of one file and insert it into the second one and the output of the Merge Join sent to a flat file. However, when we run it we get just the header record in the output file. The flat file block goes green while the two sorts are running and before the Merge Join goes green. We also note that there are differing numbers of records hitting the Merge Join - there should be 10K, we get 3K or so and that number (3K) isn't anything we can calculate, knowing the record counts. Also, despite seeing a counter value with the Merge Join, only the header shows up in the output file.

Any ideas on what we've done/not done/checked/not checked? As I said, we're both new to this and learning as we go but this one is throwing us for a loop.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

"My mind is like a steel whatchamacallit ...

is your merge join done on the correct columns. are the columns you sorted on the correct columns to join?

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Paul:

Yes, we went back and double-checked all of the settings, etc. when this problem first occurred. We're sorting on the first two columns - acctnr and facilitycode - and doing the merge join on acctnr to pull the facilitycode over to the result set.

Tnx.

Tom

"My mind is like a steel whatchamacallit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back