Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge data in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer56

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have two tables that users have been entering data into. Both tables have the same records, but the fields come from differnt sources, so users are entering data into fields in each table.

I need to join (merge? append?) the two tables so that I have all the data in one table.

I would like to use one table as a master, and have the other table write data into fields if (and only if) the master is missing data in those fileds.

I have tried the trial and error method, but I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction.

It should be fairly easy using an update query or two. Are any of the fields duplicated? If so, which data do you want to keep?

Another way to easily merge data is to use a make-table query, pulling your data from the two tables and producing a merged resultant table.

Hope that helped a little...

Riley

Thanks for the reply. I tried the update query, but it wrote data over top of the data in the fields in the master file.

I used the syntax: [tablename]![fieldname]

Is there other syntax I shoudl use. I have the update query written, it just didn't work the way I need it to.

In the field(s) on the master file where you have data that you do not want overwritten, set the criteria to "Is Not Null" within the query builder. It will then only update data when the master field is blank.

Does that help?

This worked. I looked but could not find a source to explain the syntax for this field in the update qery in Access.

Your direction did the trick. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back