Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge cells from the same field - group by three other variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

keusch

Technical User
Jun 17, 2001
US
I have a table which has the following fields: lastname, firstname, visitdate, and remark(text field).
lastname firstname visitdate remark
Johnson Len 5/17/61 Patient is feeling sluggish.
Johnson Len 5/17/61 Has difficulty breathing. Temperature
Johnson Len 5/17/61 102.5.
Johnson Len 6/21/61 Patient has had difficulty breathing for 4 weeks

I want to concantenate or merge the remark field for a given patient ( lastname and firstname) and visitdate into a newremark memo field.
To create:
lastname firstname visitdate newremark (memofield)
Johnson Len 5/17/61 Patient is feeling sluggish. Has difficulty breathing. Temperature 102.5.
Johnson Len 6/21/61 Patient has had difficulty breathing for 4 weeks

How can I do this in a simple query. I can write a macro in Excel but because many of the newremark cells exceed 255 char, some of the data is lost. It seems I should be able to do it in Access. Is there a DSum for text strings????

Thanks for your help

Hello,

This is something that cannot be done in a SQL query because the number of rows to be merged is variable. It must be done in a procedure, such as an Excel macro. You can write procedures in Access using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

keusch,
You can make an unbound textbox in the form where you want to see the 'Sum' of your remarks and use this code in form's current event

Private Sub Form_Current()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Dim str As String

Set rst = db.OpenRecorset("SELECT remark FROM YourTable WHERE lastname='" & Me!lastname & "' AND firstname='" & Me!firstname & "' ORDER BY visitdate")

str = ""
While Not rst.EOF
str = str & remark & ". "
rst.MoveNext
Wend
Me![Your_Unbound_TextBox] = str

Set rst = Nothing
Set db = Nothing
End Sub

Hmmmmm, what happens to your visitdate field if you merge all the remarks to a memo field? Maybe you better create a new table just for the remarks with LastName, FirstName as pointers to the new table.

vb_doc@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back