Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merant ODBC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EHeredia

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
BR
When I try start a ODBC connection with a Progress 9.1b I receive the following message:

"Exceeding permissible number of connections"

If I try access the database from Procedure Editor no problem occurs.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance!

I receive the exact same error message. After talking with a lady from datadirect, they had no solution for me. I found this odd considering they resolved the first problem I was having in less than a minute.

I know we have enough licenses to connect, but after a week of trying everything I could think of, I gave up :(

Would love to hear from anyone able to offer some advice.

Just last week I was having the same problem while trying to connect to a 91b database.
A few things to check/try (Assuming you are using the SQL92 Merant drivers):

Make sure you have a broker working and that the broker is in your services file (both on the server and on the client).

A question (or two) for you:

Have you already installed the database management tools, using the netsetup in your progress directory? If so, have you setup a new user in that database for use with this dsn? (I have been using sysprog for my username).

Anyway, I apologize if these are elementary suggestion/questions, but I am very new to progress myself and don't yet fully understand it....I hope this helps.

I am also having a similar problem with Merant SQL92 driver when I try to access the database with Take Stock everything works but after opening one connection through ODBC (for crystal reports), all new connection attempts through SQL92 receive the same error “Exceeding the permissible Number of Connections”.
Has any one figured out the reason for this??

This is probably to do with the maximum number of SQL user accounts set up. When you have a error and have to ctrl-alt-delete the user id does not always disconnect correctly. Get your DBA to disconnect the user ID you were using previously and you should be able to re-connect.

There is a parameter that can be set when starting the database that sets the maximum number of SQL users/4gl users, Increase this and the problem should go away. We had the same problem and had a guy in from progress and this seemed to sort it out. I am afraid I cannot be more specific as I was not directly involved in the fix.

Cheers

Mike

I had this error and it turns out it was a Progress setting in the database. -Mn parameter needs to be increased. Here is what Progress Support had told me:

Generally, when a client requests a connection to the Progress broker,
a server is spawned to serve that particular client. The same broker
is able to spawn both the 4GL server to serve 4GL clients and SQL
Server to serve ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC clients.

Unlike the 4GL server, SQL Server can serve a maximum of one (1)
ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC client. The parameter -Mn specifies to the broker the
maximum number of servers (SQL Server + 4GL Server) that can be
spawned.

The error can appear if the broker is unable to spawn the server due
to the setting of the -Mn parameter.

For example:

Assume that you have 20 users licenses.

1) Start your database as follows:

proserve <dbname> -S <portnumber> -n 20 -Mn 4 -Ma 5

2) Make five ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC connections into the database.

The first four(4) connections should be okay, but the 5th
receives the error. This is caused partly because the -Mn
parameter is set to 4, but it could also be because the &quot;1
SQL Server = 1 ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC client&quot;.

SOLUTION:

If you disconnect all ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC clients, 20 4GL clients can
connect into the database. Increase the database parameter -Mn in
order to allow more ODBC/JAVA/ESQLC connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back