Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meow, Woof: App only runs under Admin rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkaboy

MIS
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have an older (1999) proprietary Foxpro database that will only run successfully in administrator mode under XP Pro. Tried User and Power User with no luck
Connects to a NT 4 server running IP protocol. Everything else runs fine under basic user mode.

Tried the compatability wizard for older programs, but it turned out to be worthless.
Program is called Petwhere, in case anyone is interested.

Doing a bit of volunteer work/upgrades at the local Humane Society and would really DON'T want to have everyone running as an administrator………just for this one app.

The program is either accessing a file or a part of the registry that only the administrator has access to. To determine what is going on go to the following:

They are free programs from Systernals that let you see file and registry usage. It goes by quick, so what I would do is install both programs, log on as the administrator, start Regmon, start your foxpro program, stop Regmon and save the trace as a file. Log on as a user and do the same thing. Compare both trace files. If nothing jumps out at you, do the above with Filemon. Just off the top of my head, I bet that the administrator has a user ODBC connection setup, and the other users don't. Regmon and filemon will tell you exactly what the problem is.

Godd Luck

Thanks ! The ODBC connection does make the most sense. I will give both a try, see what works and report back. Hopefully with good news ..............

PB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back