Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Menu choice not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallow

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
US
I want to mirror two identical drives in W2k. One has the OS on it and the other is empty. However when using the Disk Management utility the “Add Mirror” choice is grayed out on the menu and unavailable in every instance. Can anyone tell me why this is?

xgleeb@firmpop.com

Have your disks been converted to Dynamic Disks?

When using disk administrator you must select both drives before going to the menu to mirror them.

Yes I have, both drives are Dynamic. It was foolish of me not to include this fact in my original question. Thanks just the same for your input.

Yes I have, both drives are Dynamic. It was foolish of me not to include this fact in my original question. How do you "select both drives"? Both are listed, but you can only highlight one at a time.

Click one drive and then while holding the "ctrl" key click the free drive

Nope! The Control key has no effect.

Was this drive/partition initially created as basic, or upgraded from WinNT? If the partition was not initially created as a Dynamic disk under W2K, you cannot mirror it after the fact, unless it was originally mirrored under WinNT. I have run into that here at Hallmark.

Mike in KC

Both volumes were created during the W2k installation. They are identical RAID 0 volumes, each consisting of 2, 36 gig Hitachi/IBM SCSI drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back