Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Menu bar problems in Word 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

sblanche

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
Here is what is happening (and it is very inconsistent). I add 3 additional menu items to the menu bar. Right after the "Windows" option but before the "Help" option. All 3 will be blank. Will close Word to update the normal.dot. I will add 10 documents to first menu option. close Word to update normal.dot. When I start Word, the 10 files may be there or they may not be there. I have even had the 10 documents copy themselves to the 2nd (blank) menu option so they are both the same. I have even had 5 of the 10 files dissappear, even after I have saved the normal.dot. The bottom line is that changing the menu bar is very problematic. I have tried different computers, different normal.dots. Does not seem to be computer related but Word itself. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

SLB

Hi SLB,

What do you mean when you say you add 10 documents to the Menu?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Sorry, to be confusing. AFter I created a blank menu option, still in the "customizing" mode, under "Categories" on the right hand side of the screen, under "commands" you can drag up to the empty Menu option "OpenSubDocument" then under "OpenSubDocument" you can "assign Hyperlink" to a file. I should have said 10 hyperlinks to 10 different files. I enter information in about 15 different files thought the year, so I create an option in the menu bar that is linked to the files. It worked fine for me in Word 2000. I was able to create 3 different menu options to link to the files. But Word 2003 is just not cooperating.

Thanks,
SLB

Thank you. I didn't know you could do that - or not [smile]

I will have a play with it and see what I get. Meanwhile, although it's limited to 9 documents (I think), what about using the Work Menu instead?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

As Tony has suggested, use the Work Menu. You are trying to reinvent the wheel! I haven't tested what you are trying to do, but my guess is that ord is simply screwing up the hyperlinks - one of Word 2003's shortcomings!

Regards: tf1

I do use the Work menu but it has limitations which is why I was also creating my own and hyperlinking to my files. Word 2000 allowed me to create 3 of my own menu options and I could give the hyperlink a descriptive name that would be helpful (instead of renaming my files). Also, you can have only one Work menu and I needed more than that.

Thanks for the suggestions,
SLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back