Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Menu Bar in ASP.net 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hf28

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
US
Good morning all.

Does anyone know how to create a Menu Bar for ASP.Net Web applications?
In VB.Net we have a control MainMenu. I didn't see anything like that for ASP.Net, or should I do it in JavaScript?

Thanks a lot.

BTW, you need to explicitly follow the instructions for installation AND before you run build.bat you'll need to edit it to look like this:
Code:
@if "%_echo%"=="" echo off

if not exist build mkdir build
'rem The next two lines should be on one line
[b]C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe[/b] /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp
xcopy src\Runtime build\Runtime /E /Y /I /Q

I bolded the stuff that you'll need to add. You need to add the absolute path to csc.exe or you won't end up with Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll which is what you need

Actually...

The answer is : yes you should build it yourself in javascript. It is NOT included in the .NET Framework or with Visual Studio.

Therefore there are (maybe) millions of options for a DHTML Javascript menu, i've tried lots and lots of different ones for lots of different companies but in the end these DHTML menus always give troublez in specific situations. Maybe that is why Microsoft didnt include one in the first place.
(Basic setup works but when dealing with hundreds op pages with their own specific dhtml/javascript/whatever gives you intermediate clientside errors).

Just look for "dhtml menus" in Google. Including the code of the one you choose in your own control is ofcourse very easy.

If you're doing a big project be carefull to choose a DHTML menu that has been around for some years like , they have most of the DHTML bugs filtered out, dont go for some small cheap dhtml menus they will give you a long list of issues.

Edward@de-leau.com

I have been using skmmenu
it is free, easy to use and offers any functionality I have ever desired.

Great product. This guy started 4guysfromrolla and another of other excelent websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back