Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Menu always visible on page Without using Frames? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slakker

MIS
Jun 5, 2003
US
Hi All..

I'm working on a site.. that will have A LOT of info for people to look through.. I mean maybe 10 pages worth of scrolling down.. how do I make a menu be always visible on a user's screen, no matter how far down they scroll WITHOUT using Frames?

(My users' IE 6.0 browsers are limited on how much JavaScript they can show) -- some is diabled by admins.

Thanks! :)

check out dhtmlcentral.com or dynamicdrive.com

but have you thought about putting your data in a DIV that is scrollable -- so rather than scrolling the page only what is overflowing in the div will be needed to scroll

zzzzzz

deecee, that's exactly the way I have it setup now, my content within a scrollable div tag, BUT there's only one problem with that..

I have 2 scroll bars this way.. one belongs to div tag, other belongs to the browser..
looks ugly..

but it accomplishes what you want!

your other option would be to scour those sites for javascript that will keep a div at top

zzzzzz

The scrollable div is a good way to go. In order to prevent two scroll bars, limit the size of the page so that it will fit on an 800x600 screen. There are not too many left out there using 640x480 and this is the only case where you will be left with 2 scrollbars.

Mighty

Chris nice work -- to bad he who started the thread doesnt really seem to care if he gets an answer or not!

zzzzzz

Why do you say I don't care? I've just been busy working on my project :)

Thanks Chris, that site is awsome.. has my answers

sorry just that after about 2 weeks that just seems like how it is

zzzzzz

ChrisHurst
Looked at your sample web pages using IE5 on Mac.
The css menu doesnt stay put but disappears off the top of the page when scrolling. The frame emulation page doesn't display any text at all.

This might be a bit of a giveaway! [wink]

Fails to work in IE5.x where the whole page scrolls

and I didn't code it, only found it, and it demonstrates admirably the capabilities CSS can achieve .

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back