Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaishnu

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
US
Hi,

We have a server with 1 gig RAM with SQL Server 2000 (Windows 2000) on it.
I have been noticing that almost 985MB of RAM is being used
by the sqlservr.exe which is a lot. is there any way to avoid this or is it due to the memory leakage so that we can schedule the server to reboot every night ?

Thanx in Advance
Vaishnu

I really only use SQL Server 7.0, but I think there is a way you can edit the memory usage for SQL Server somehow... I'll look into it further... but I think I remember seeing it mentioned in BOL. SQL Sever is a Memory hog unless you tell it otherwise (then it's just a memory piglet! ;-) ) BeckahC

You can limit the amount of memory that SQL Server uses by setting the Max Memory property. I wonder why you need to do this. SQL Server manages memory and will release it as needed. Microsoft recommends letting SQL Server dynamically manage memory.

I am not aware of a significant memory leak in SQL 7 or 2000 that requires a nightly reboot. We have servers that have been up and running for over two months. We usually have to reboot to deal with other issues not related to memory usage. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Yes, I keep mine set for SQL to manage its own memory usage as well. We do reboot once weekly, but that is also for other purposes. Are there any large queries that run on a regular basis? Have you checked out the processes running? You can find it under Management/Current Activity/Process Info. This could tell you what SQL Server is running that is taking up all that memory. BeckahC

Usually, SQL Server is using memory for cache buffers. This is the optimal use of memory. The more data SQL can load into cache, the better it will perform. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

i use sql server2000 on my laptop with 256 and a tower with 384. I have never had a memory problem, and I am running many applications at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back