Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanie

Programmer
Jan 20, 2000
US
Good morning!
I want to install more memory on my machine because Photoshop hangs after using for a little while. I have an

AMD Athelon
128mg RAM - PC100
Win98

Can I purchase any PC100? Does it have to be specific, like does it need to be SDAM or DDRAM or whatever. How do I find out how many pins I need?

Also, must the configureation be two 128mg sticks or two 258mg sticks, but not a combined 128mg (1) and 258mg (1) sticks?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I sure do appreciate any help I can get.

Lanie
laniet@ij.net
etroidl@conaxfl.com

You will need to purchase PC100 SDRam.

You can combine a mix of memory, meaning you can keep you current 128MB of RAM and add a 256MB module if you have the slot for it.

If you are currently using PC100 RAM it will have 168 pins.

For good pricing on RAM, go to

Thank you so much for your help.

One more question, I would like to get a good, reliable brand. Can you suggestion one? Lanie
laniet@ij.net
etroidl@conaxfl.com

Lanie,

A good brand of memory would be Crucial brand made by Micron. Samsung is also a good one. Kingston comes to mind as well.
One other thing, if you buy a 256 meg one, i would recommend putting the highest density chip in ROM-0 slot.
You can gain some performance by haveing the larger pieces of memory in the first slots.
Depending on which version of PhotoShop you are using, I would also recommend increasing your total RAM to 512MB+ Good luck, and Happy Computing

mjinks61,

I am indeed maxing the RAM. I'm using PS7 and I am so tired of it crashing.

Thank you so much for your help. Lanie
laniet@ij.net
etroidl@conaxfl.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back