Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Upgrade.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsfox4

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
Could someone tell me how to tell my computer that i've installed memory on it? Should it have automatically detected it? i have reinstalled it a few times already, and it fits fine, it just wont register it . [sadeyes] any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!!

Howdy:

Did you purchase the proper (compatible) memory for your system to begin with??

Murray

Yes, i have. it says max memory is 512 and i only had 256 in there, but when i installed the other 256, it didnt register it? i have a dell dimension 4100. if that is of any help..lol thanks for the speedy reply!! :)

Yes, the PC should automatically detect the full amount of installed memory during boot up. That suggests that it may seem to fit fine, but most likely it is not seated properly on the board. What happens if you switch the two memory cards?

I just switched the two around and then started the computer agian, and according to the system prperties, it still only has 256 mb in it? someone was telling me that their is a way ...maybe thew BIOS to manually tell the computer that memory was added, and how much.. i am so at a loss right now... thanks for your help!!

Howdy:

What about speed?? It is very possible your system will only handle PC-100 ram and, if you put in PC-133, then it won't be recognized... Some older boards have this limitation and alot of the newer PC-133 ram is NOT backward compatible !!! Also, if your system takes PC-133 ram and you installed PC-100, then that wouldn't register either..

Last, but not least, you make need a BIOS update in order for your BIOS to recognize anything over 128megs per slot..

Murray

Looking at the specs for your system, it appears that you have a Pentium III with 2 memory slots at a max of 512MB of PC-133 SDRAM.

First of all, it is not necessary to have to specify anything of addition in the BIOS. It is all automatically entered upon detection.

Secondly, it is possible that the new memory you bought is either not compatible with your motherboard, or is not compatible with the other memory chip that you already have. I would unseat the original chip leaving the new one in there by itself. If the new one gets detected, then it's probably an incompatibility between the chips.

I always recommend buying your memory from a dealer who guarantees compatibility or will exchange it for you for free. is a good place to buy from, along with any vendor that carries Kingston or Corsair.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

ok, i will try that.. thanks for your help, i'll let you know what happens.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back