Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory testing software. Is it bad ram or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hello tek tippers and thank you for taking the time to look at my problem. I have 3 gig of ram installed on a desktop(new build) its DDR2 667. When i run a memory testing software from within windows(software is pass mark version 5.3) i get error messages which say the data has been unable to be verified from within ram. The machine seems to run OK. When i run memory testing software outside windows(tuff test pro) which boots into its own environment i get the all clear. In the past i have found the tuff test pro software to be excellent in identifying memory problems so i am inclined to believe it. But my question is why does the windows based mem test report errors and the non windows software give the all clear?? All answers very much appreciated as I am very curious on this one.

No answer to your question, but it's nothing to fret over as long as the system is stable, and all of the RAM is recognized.

Besides... software which tests memory within Windows is having to cope with the fact that an operating system and anything in the start menue is running AS WELL.. it's bound to have possible anomolies.
3Gig is an odd size for a new build, are you not bothered about dual channel.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

thanks for the advice. Yes 3 gig is an odd size for a new build however its for a friend who is now dead broke after paying for this new PC. Another 1 gig will be added in a few weeks..just as soon as my mates sold his soul to the devil.

If Pass Mark is reporting an error then there must be a fault somewhere. Why Tuff Test doesn't get the same error is a mystery - maybe it's not as Tuff as it thinks it is?

Try a couple of other memory testers - Windows Memory Diagnostic and MemTest86 are ones that I've used. Leave them running overnight.

The problem is that if none of those report an error you're unlikely to be able to get a refund. If you send the RAM back the place you bought it from will test it, fail to find a problem then charge you for it.

Regards

Nelviticus

3Gig is an odd size for a new build, are you not bothered about dual channel.

2x1GB + 2x512MB = 3GB and will run in dual channel mode. It seems like an odd config, but if the base was 1GB and they added 2GB more it would make sense. Especially if running 32-bit Windows.

Just a tip but if any test finds any errors you should replace all the RAM. (trust MEMTEST86) However you shouldn't notice any problems unless you run memory intesive applications like games or graphic design software.

I find that the aftermarket RAM manufacturers produce far more faulty units than the ones branded by PC makers like Dell and IBM. Even the gimmicky "overclocker" and "pcphile" brands like Corsair and Geil produce random failed units and for understandable reasons, IBM/Dell brands cannot afford to warranty their PC's with inferior units.

Uhh...news flash. They use the same chips in their modules. In fact, in many cases they use the "aftermarket manufacturers" to make modules for them, then slap a Dell/IBM/HP sticker on it when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back