Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Test Program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I'm having BSOD issues and suspect bad memory on an XP machine. It's not that old - but getting there. Which program is best to test my RAM. I know I had a program that did this but can't find it. It may be that it was so long ago it was lost in upgrades.

This is a pretty common one:
- On their website (can't directly link to page for some reason): go to Software tab, and select Memtest86 from the drop-down.
The software is better than the webite.

There are some boot disks which have many memory testers and such included, such as hiren's boot CD and Ultimate Boot CD. I used to wouldn't even mention hiren, but it seems from what I read they've gotten more "legit" over the past handful of years.

I remember quite some time back about one of the memory scanners that I think used a woman's name for the title which was on one of those boot disks that seemed to find memory problems more quickly than Memtest, but it's been probably 8 years since I last ran it.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

or download and burn any Linux ISO and use the pre-installation memory test tool.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Let it run for a least a full pass, though normally memory errors pop up pretty quickly.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

kjv1611, I suspect the software with the woman's name was Sandra, now Sandra 2016 Link

FI0L,

Hmm, the small DOS based or Linux based program I ran was nowhere as pretty as the Sandra software. It did not run within Windows, or at least not the way I ran it. So, I'm not sure it's the same. I think I remember seeing Sandra software as well, though. The other I had never heard of, just stumbled on and tried it. It helped me resolve the issue within minutes instead of hours. No promise I'll ever find the time AND remember to look it up again.

If I would do better about keeping everything documented with things like this, I'd be better off for it. [smile] Maybe one day I'll start using OneNote at home when I'm doing things like this or some similar program/app.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Well, the Memtest program was the one I had used. It was in my archive. I forgot that it ran from CD! Worked well - at least I think. Strange thing is I ran it twice, and now no BSOD - and no bad memory found. I did tighten things and clean a bit but not extensively. Not sure if simply running the test could 'fix' something - not sure how that could possibly work.

Hmm, the small DOS based or Linux based program I ran was nowhere as pretty as the Sandra software. It did not run within Windows,

It won't, it is not a 'Windows OS' tool (being on a Linux disc) it runs in the BIOS context after you boot from the DVD.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

True, but still, I want to say it was a different name, like maybe Rhonda or something. One day, if I find myself pondering about it, I'll see if I can pull up a couple disks, and play around a bit to make sure which program it was. Don't hold your breath, though. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back