Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory speed v cpu speed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladzie

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
GB
I'm just in the process of buying a 1GB Ram upgrade,I've narrowed it down to a PC2100 184 Pin non-ECC and non- parity.
My question is, I've read the gist of some posts here and other websites explaining there's no point buying faster memory speed if your cpu will cause a bottle neck.

My M/board is Giga-byte Ga 7DXE, CPU-AMD Athlon XP 1800+.
The m/board spec says "DDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC1600 and PC2100". Is this 'PC2100' the absolute maximum RAM speed I can have? i.e. can I go up to PC2700+ and not waste the extra speed by it not matching my cpu speed?

I'm just a little confused [neutral].....and I'm not into overclocking I just want to get the best and most efficient performance for my CAD and graphic intense software.

One last thing, Is ECC actualy important? I've heard it said the larger the RAM the more cause for error and that it was only recommended for servers etc, and not home PC's, but does that apply to high capacity CAD pc's? How much more safer is it? and is it worth the extra £'s?

Thanks in advance to all that can help with this query......[bigcheeks]

Memory speed is governed by the speed of the bus on your motherboard. You can buy faster memory but it will only go as fast as the bus allows. I haven't looked up your mobo but I suspect it allows for 266MHz memory. PC2700 runs at 333MHz top speed but in your mobo it will only go at 266. Only reason to buy PC2700 is if it is less expensive than PC2100.

As for ECC or registered RAM, forget it. You are not running mission critical applications. A memory error will not cause catastrophy. In a server, a memory error can cause the server to crash and bring the entire network down - not good. For your system, go with the normal RAM.

Lots of RAM will help with CAD but you really need to look at a fast video card too. Something mid-range would be sufficient I suspect unless you are building extremely complex drawings that move, twist and bounce all over your screen.

Thanks very much, Accessdabbler, you've just ended a few weeks worth of research!! I think I can go and order my RAM now...[bigsmile]

I read this page meanwhile, which helped me understand a little...

So yes I think my mobo is 266...correct me if I've misunderstood this, my bus clock (it is the same as FSB, yes?) is 133, which turns it 266 because of the DDR memory?

Is this what can be changed in the BIOS and is considered overclocking?

The site below doesn't recommend it, because it voids the warranty, which is why I'm apprehensive (and is whom I'm planning on buying the RAM from).

But now I'm considering overclocking, as it doesn't seem to cost money if done right. But what are the pros to this and do they out-weigh the cons?
And what is the max speed you can safely acieve with it?

oh and my graphics card is 64MB GEFORCE 4 MX440 + TV OUT.

Thanks again for your help....[thumbsup2]

Yes, you're on track so far. When it comes to FSB and memory speeds, it can get a bit confusing.

First of all, the FSB (Frontside Bus) is the path between the CPU and motherboard chipset. The memory bus is separate and is the path between chipset and RAM. Both should be running at the same speed for optimal performance, but don't necessarily have to.

Intel P4's use a 4x multiplier with their FSB. So although the first P4's still used a 100MHz FSB, they advertise 400MHz because they are sending 4 times as much data per clock cycle. Widening the FSB to allow "4 times as much data" isn't better than having a true 400MHz bus, but it's still quite a bit faster than the standard 100MHz. Currently, the fastest P4's employ a 200MHz FSB advertised as 800MHz. AMD in comparison uses a 2x multiplier instead.

Memory is slightly different. DDR SDRAM can send twice as much data per clock cycle than standard SDRAM. So DDR333, for example, uses a 166MHz memory bus multiplied by 2. DDR operates the same on both Intel and AMD systems. (Dual-channel DDR is a recent improvement and DDR-II will eventually replace what you see out there today).

These "multipliers" I'm referring to have nothing to do with overclocking, so rest assured that it's built-in safe. Overclocking is truly an enthusiast sport for the most part and not as beneficial as it once was. For example, you might be able to overclock a 2.4GHz Northwood to 2.8GHz or higher, but for $40-50 you could just buy the 2.8GHz CPU and not worry about overheating, buying expensive cooling, or ruining other components in your system.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Don't buy PC2100!! (DDR266)
PC2700 (DDR333)is exactly the same price and although your motherboard won't fully utilize the extra band width (the PC2700 will effectively just run at PC2100 speed)
You will be cursing the day when you upgrade your motherboard and go to something like a XP2.8+ to then find out you will have to go out and buy the very same ram you could be buying now at no extra cost.
It just seems a bit silly for me to understand that anybody would buy 2100 when they can have 2700 at the same price.
Technically you don't need it!
Looking ahead to a possible upgrade you may.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I agree with buying 2700 if its the same price as 2100 however I don't believe that he'll be able to use the new ram in a new computer. Within a couple years, he'll need to buy completely new ram for his 4.8GHz CPU!

Thanks to you all for your help. you've made the decision easier and put my mind at rest....

I've just ordered my RAM, thank god because it was long over due...and I'm happy to know my system has still got potential, for one, I can still add another 2GB RAM to reach my mobo's max at some point, but that will be quite a while from now before I can afford that anyway....and I think it will be a good few years before I drastically change this sytem. (I've only just stopped paying for it, and its a year old now..!!. [party])

Meanwhile, I'm hoping this ram will solve all my problems, but I know eventually my system will decide to start erring again, so I'll no doubt be trying a few more tweaks....

Thanks again, [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back