Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory resources/hardware conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

revsinn

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have been trying to figure out why this compaq presario will not work correctly. It's about 2years old, 1GHz Intel II, Max mem of 512MB (Upgraded from 64MB), Win98SE. It was hanging all the time, all programs would freeze is more than 2 were running. I upgraded the memory to 512MB in hopes of helping. Now, one browser window will lock up the system. I'm stuck trying to reboot every 5 minutes to get to one website. I noticed in the Device Manager that there is a conflict error concerning the memory. Two devices are trying to use the same bit of memory, apparently.
I am aware the W98SE has 1. virtual memory issues (it's horrible) 2. problems utilizing over 128MBs of memory. (Among other things since it is, after all, microsoft... *coughiloveunixcough*)
I am upgrading it to WinXP Pro and wondering if the upgrade could help correct the problem, or should I roll up my sleeves and fix the conflict prior to upgrading?
(I am also in the process of cleaning the comp..this is my mothers computer and she loves to d/l crap from iwon.com and other sites that have a habit of leaving tons of files on the computer. i know this isn't helping the situation, but doubt this could be the main culprit of the system bogging.) Thanks for your help =)

Thanks Buckeye =)

#!/usr/bin/girl/ReverendSinn

How big is the hard drive? How much junk has she d/l onto it? Has it reached it's capacity? What are the resources they should be between 80-90. You could also boot to a windows98 startup disk at the prompt type
C: enter
C: Scandisk enter
Then when it asks you if you want a surface scan say yes. You can let it do the whole thing but it will take awhile. I would suggest looking at the first area and what you are looking for are little red blocks. That would be a bad sector on your hard drive. That would cause locking. You should do it every once in a while anyway.
Cindy
[ponder]

The hd is about 30GB and she's nowhere near that. I did scan disk about 2 weeks ago and found no bad sectors, but it can't hurt to do so again. Normally, after booting her computer, the system resources are around 50-60...this is with nothing running. I disabled all background programs besides the virus scan in msconfig, with no luck. I will try upgrading to XP and see if this solves the problem. If not, you'll know about it..haha! =)

Thanks for all your help. Upgrading to XP solved the problem and the computer not only runs smoother, but it recognizes the full 512MB. This is also after I wiped a great deal of junk off her hard drive.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back